Best way to spend 3 grand on motor???

92streetstang

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
i'm going to rebuild or buy an engine for my 92 gt and i wanna spend around 3000 bucks just wondering if i should rebuild or just buy something. i have stock 302 with 155000 miles on it.counting in machine work i was wondering if buying an engine would be smart. just looking for a lil advice

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on what you goals are for the car. I have heard of stock blocks cracking with about 400rwhp and others lasting up to 600rwhp. If it were me I think I would probably rebuild the motor. If you want to make more than 500rwhp then i would really look into getting a new shortblock. Once again it all depends on the power levels that you want to attain.

I guess it all depends on what you're wanting to do. I think a GT40 crate motor goes for slightly over 3000, rated around 345hp i think. Going that way would give you a high quality, brand new motor, already putting out some nice numbers. OR, if it isn't a huge deal to you to have a brand new motor, you could rebuild fairly cheap (which basically makes it new again), and chunk HCI on there. I personally would check the motor out really good, and if there are any problems that would make you think twice about reusing the block for a buildup, i'd just buy a gt40 crate motor and start saving for a blower. Just my 2 cent :)
-E

i was thinking about a short block 5.8 mustangs unlimited has one for 1800 bucks rated at 385 hp. anybody think this would be an ok choice? set of heads and intake would put me at 3200 i'm guessing what else am i missing?

if i rebuild i'd be hoping for around 350 to 400 horse all motor and in regard to condition of motor i'm assuming it will be ok because the car still runs great but doesn't really mean it is i suppose. :shrug:

i was also thinking if i rebuild and i get to 350 maybe 400 then want to through on a blower down the rode will the be a strain on a stock block?

so many questions ahhhh :bang: