Better times with 3.73-4.10's

roached1

May 12, 2003
Scotia NY
I'm Currently running 14.2 @ 102 mph with ported e7's ported stock intake b303 cam and all other normal bolt ons. However, I am still running stock 2.73 with a 5spd. I'm debating about gears to go with because its my daily driver. curently 70mph doesn't even spin 2000 rpms. so my 2 questions are, what rpms should I expect for 75 mph with 4.10"s and would it increase my ET enough to make it worth it.

• Sponsors (?)

Before I installed the heads I installed the 3.73s with the stock 5.0. Everywhere I read said that the gears would lower my ETs. NOPE!!! The stang didn't get any quicker with the stock setup and new gears. Sure, the car was plenty fun to drive but did not get quicker in the 1/4 mile. I believe Slow5.0 experienced this as well before the H/C/I upgrades. Now you have ported stock heads/intake and a cam so you have moved your horsepower peak up a bit in the RPM band. So, gears may help you a little. But, I would consentrate on your 60' times and get some drag struts/shocks and/or drag springs. Are you running street tires? If so, get some drag radials. Looking back I would have waited on gears for a little longer.

4.10s @ 75mph with stock T5 will run 2500-2700rpm.
3.73s @ 75mph is just under 2500rpm.

It would be impossible for a stock car to run the same times after getting gears. How could that be possible?

I ran waaayy faster at the track after getting 4.10's. I didn't go with just gears, so I don't know the exact amount.

rio95 said:
It would be impossible for a stock car to run the same times after getting gears. How could that be possible?

I ran waaayy faster at the track after getting 4.10's. I didn't go with just gears, so I don't know the exact amount.

I raced the entire 2003 season with 2.73s (33 runs) and then raced 2004 season with 3.73s (35 runs) with very little change to my 1/4 mile ETs and the same 60' (2.0-2.2 seconds) times both years. This was with the stock H/C/I and street tires. Over the two years of racing my 1/4 mile ETs ranged from 15.2 to 14.9 seconds. So, I think I can say the gears did not help make the car quicker. HORSEPOWER and TRACTION is what makes a car faster in the 1/4 mile. So, this year I have BFG DRs 275/40R17s and the Y303 heads. Thanks to work and rain I haven't been able to make it to the track this year to test out the new parts.