Beware Of Fresh Paint

rusty428cj

10 Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Port Richey Fl
The owner of this car bought it last year and drove it maybe 100 miles and decided he wanted more HP. A shop across from mine built a 347 and changed the rear to a Currie 9" and changed the wheels to Torque Thrusts. This car looked great when he bought it.

Before_zps2csaa0gw.jpg

While the engine was out he decided he wanted us to install a Rod & Custom front suspension. We were removing seam sealer from the cowl and found that the lower cowl had been patched and never welded and also found this rust.

DSCN0492_zps7q32lcla.jpg

He wanted us to install a steel bulkhead behind the rear seat and this is what we found

DSCN0516_zps3fmjof0m.jpg

DSCN0518_zpscfxffifg.jpg

At first we were going to patch the cowl and he was going to drive it a couple of years before we repaired the cowl and repainted the car.

We also found the front floor pans had been patched and the tack welds were bad. The owner decided to have us fix it right. This is what we found under that beautiful paint and a lot of bondo.

DSCN0543_zpsfguxwntf.jpg

DSCN0545_zps8idc632o.jpg

DSCN0546_zpscuv3qcmp.jpg

DSCN0547_zps9uguyoyc.jpg

DSCN0550_zpsshqslm6h.jpg

DSCN0552_zps1plrrpqi.jpg

They had cut out a section and had a couple of pieces of plastic stuck in there with fiberglass mat over it.

DSCN0554_zpsu6mbgmq6.jpg

DSCN0549_zpsksyv5yjl.jpg

This is what they were covering

DSCN0555_zpssthyjbds.jpg

If you are buying a car that was just painted make sure you see a lot of photos showing how it was repaired before it was painted. This was done by a shop that thank goodness is no longer in business.

• Sponsors (?)

There was a 66 convertible that used to be in our area .It was candy apple red and new paint .the owner asked me to put a new top on it so i told him i would .I got the new top on and when the top was latched the door would hit tight into the quarter .when the top was down there was a fairly good size gap .I removed the rocker molding and rolled back the brand new carpet to find the rockers were rotted away and patched by stuffing them with news paper and bondoed over .The guy was a bit upset and didnt want to try to fix it so he took it home .A couple of years later and another guy wanted me to do some work on a 66 convert that was painted root beer brown .I told him no so he took it to a local shop.The shop called me to look at it to see what i thought ...It was the very same candy apple coupe i had done the top on before .That guy just covered up the rockers again ,repainted the car and sold it .The guy that was stuck with it this time decided he wanted to drive it home but the shop told him he could not allow the guy to drive it away in the condition it was in.They towed it on a roll back truck to the owners home .I heard it finally folded in the middle in the guys garage .I agree with Rusty ,do not buy a freshly painted car without pics of the complete restoration .

The only thing i hate worse than doing bondo is removing bondo someone else did .It is always piled on and there is just about no way of knowing what is hidden .It takes forever just to get it off and on top of that you have to repair what they hid with it . Looks like you have your work cut out for you Rusty .

These are the last photos I will post on this thread. I will start a new one once the parts come in to start the restoration.

The upper and lower cowl came off as one piece only had two small welds close to the windshield pillar on both sides

DSCN0583_zpsr7khrdkp.jpg

DSCN0585_zpsx44vhz0d.jpg

I said I wasn't going to add to this thread but I wanted to show what was left of his original Mustang that we could use.

DSCN0645_zpsplyxz7qi.jpg

He found a donor body and we will be removing the sheetmetal and epoxy priming everything and fitting new sheetmetal. Today starts the build of his Mustang.

DSCN0651_zpsi5xpoza9.jpg