Big Brake Setup Gt500 Foxbody

85rkyboby

Mar 2, 2011
South ATL
Hey guys, I was just about to purchase some 10'-12' GT500 brakes to put on my 84 Fox with 95 Spindles. I had seen a company called Vintage Venom selling a conversion kit to make this all work. Luckily before I pulled the trigger, someone mentioned that Vintage Venom went out of business. I called and it said the number was disconnected. Well crap, I guess better to find out now than after I spent the money on something I couldn't use.

My question to you all is, is there another company anyone knows of that sells a similar conversion kit? Or does anyone on here have this Vintage Venom Kit that they would sell or let me trace so I can make a kit? I did see that there was a link on google to MM's website for the conversion kit, but when I click the link it just went to their big brake stuff. Should I maybe give them a call?

Thanks,
Garrick A.R.

• Sponsors (?)

Garrick,

There is a guy by me who is an engineer by day and mustang wizard by night. Basically, he builds 3D models of brackets for brake conversions and then has them made somewhere. I know for a fact he has a stack of brackets for S197 brake conversions on a fox, but not sure how a GT500 setup would work. If you want, PM me and I'll set you up with a way to contact him.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a pretty big brake kit to stick on a lightweight Fox without ABS. It could be considered overkill.

A more direct bolt on setup would be to snag a set of 2000 Cobra R brembos and use them with the standard 13" Cobra rotor. 100% direct bolt on, and a little bit more practical on the street.

Just another option for your choosing.

Reactions: 1 users
At $1200 the cobra R setup will probably be easier and cost not much more.
A good set of used gt500 brembos is around $600 and then the venom kit was $420. You may have to even add in another $100 for brake lines (not sure on that one).

You can keep it simple and just get the R kit.

I'm also pretty sure the gt500 brakes require an 18 inch wheel, not sure what size your wheels are.

Focus RS calipers are another option if you can find them. $600 back in the day for the m-2300-B kit. Then buy your own 13" rotors.

I've seen these pop up for sale for $300-400 used

I see a few GT500 and GT brembo kits for sale in eBay for $700ish. Kinda tempting but without the bracket to bolt to SN95 spindle. I could model up and bracket and CNC it, but to be honest I really don't want the liability. It is a tempting proposal if I had 18" wheels, but I think the 2000 R setup would be an easier project not to mention more balanced.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's a pretty big brake kit to stick on a lightweight Fox without ABS. It could be considered overkill.

A more direct bolt on setup would be to snag a set of 2000 Cobra R brembos and use them with the standard 13" Cobra rotor. 100% direct bolt on, and a little bit more practical on the street.

This!

At $1200 the cobra R setup will probably be easier and cost not much more.
A good set of used gt500 brembos is around $600 and then the venom kit was $420. You may have to even add in another $100 for brake lines (not sure on that one).

You can keep it simple and just get the R kit.

I'm also pretty sure the gt500 brakes require an 18 inch wheel, not sure what size your wheels are.

This is why I advised you to read (if you haven't already) the tech topic I linked you. There are quite a few resources available to you to use stock replacement products from other model years w/o having to chase your tail trying to find an aftermarket solution from non-existent manufacturers, or ones that charge twice for the equivalent of what is currently installed on some other Mustang.

All I'm saying is that there were plenty of excellent upgrade options from the factory w/ the products to install new, or reman'd equipment available from the likes of Rockauto for way less.

This is why I advised you to read (if you haven't already) the tech topic I linked you. There are quite a few resources available to you to use stock replacement products from other model years w/o having to chase your tail trying to find an aftermarket solution from non-existent manufacturers, or ones that charge twice for the equivalent of what is currently installed on some other Mustang.

All I'm saying is that there were plenty of excellent upgrade options from the factory w/ the products to install new, or reman'd equipment available from the likes of Rockauto for way less.

So there's this guy trying to make an Aussie headed 6 cylinder work, what should I tell him? :p

Reactions: 1 user
@madmike1157 Thank you sir for the read! :hail: Haha I'm starting to get it. "When and where to pick his battles".

@hoopty5.0 Thanks, I will keep you in mind if I decide to go this route. I love your notch.

@Mustang5L5 I agree. I'm pondering installing an ABS system. I've only read one tech on doing the conversion but I get the idea. Cobra R's will be going on if the GT500 doesn't work out.

@2000xp8 Right now I have 17's but they're 4 lug. So I will need new wheels anyway after the swap.

Sorry for taking a while to respond, work has been killer. Time for a weekend.

If street cred is what you are looking for, find a set of brackets to mount alcon type B's or AP racing radial mount calipers (radial is so much better for install and uninstalling.
They do exist, saleen used them along with brembos for quite a few years.