BIG CLACK NOISE when I turn the WHEEL, Please Help!

derek02gt

Dec 25, 2003
Hey whats up guys, whenever I make a right-hand turn it clicks LOUD. I then put my car in neutral and whenever I turn the wheel to the right it clacks. I went outside of my car as my friend kept turning the wheel to the left then to the right. It sounds like its coming from both wheels. I dont know where its coming from. remember it does it even at a dead stop. CLACK..let me know thanks.!

• Sponsors (?)

Im 99% sure its your ball joints, I had to replace mine last year and need to do it again because of the crap ball joints they replaced it with, it is a clunk like somone hitting the near the tires with a hammer right?

how can i pin point which one of th above is the problem? remember. i can be at a dead stop in neutral and turn the wheel and CLACK..i must go a little left, then right, CLACK, back to the left, and back the right CLACK..only when i go to the right it clacks..its not a squeak.it sounds like something is about to break. which of the above is it? how can i do tests to cancell some out.

take it to a shop to fix. No offense, but if you have to ask about the problm, I suggest getting a professional or at least someone that has done them before. It is a real PITA with basic tools and you need a specialty tool. I the car was put on a rack, someone would find the problem quickly.

Been seeing quite a few at work lately.

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise when turning.

ACTION:
Replace both power steering gear tube brackets. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 211-02 Steering Gear Mounting. Tighten the steering gear mounting fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N-m).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
E5DZ-3K620-A Bracket

Something else to add to the list, if you have an aftermarket swaybar and wheels they can make contact.
My friends Steeda swaybar has had the **** beat out of it by his 9" wheels.

Also, the swaybar endlinks can become loose and the bar will jump and pop around on the threads..

Derek02GT the problem is that virtually every component is subject to failure on the 99+ mustang's front end... You just need to jack up that front end on jackstands and start inspecting and replacing shiot. Try to replace as much as possible at once so that you can get by with fewer alignments. I think you can replace the tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks, steering gear, inner/outer tie rod ends and struts yourself. You will need to get a Haynes manual, maybe a few new tools, and borrow a couple specialty tools from AutoZone but you can for sure do it IMHO.

ToplessStang said:
Been seeing quite a few at work lately.

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise when turning.

ACTION:
Replace both power steering gear tube brackets. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 211-02 Steering Gear Mounting. Tighten the steering gear mounting fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N-m).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
E5DZ-3K620-A Bracket

i think thats the ticket. good find man

theyre cheap, 8.10 a piece