big controversy AOD OR MANUAL

• Sponsors (?)

I've had them both as well. An AOD with a shift kit and I am still running the T5. I broke a few AOD's and they are really expensive to fix or replace however I really dont think that it is possible to shift faster with a manual than it is with an auto. It is more fun with the manual but more consistant with the auto. I think that it is going to come down to personal pref on this one.

It is purely your choice.

I have a Capri and a Mustang with c4 autos. I cant' wait to get my aod into the Capri so that I have od.

For go fast fun, the 10 in 3000 stall converter and TCI valvebody make the Mustang as much fun to shift manually as a stick, to me. It hits hard, and will bark the tires anytime. If left in drive, you can just slide around quietly.
A prepped aod will do the same. The od would be icing on the cake to me.

My daughter had a CJ7 five speed for four years, and while it was fun, once in a while, driving the stick got very annoying very quickly. Especially the one time I had it in city rush hour traffic. It's replacement was an automatic Explorer.

My vote goes with the built aod. If you just enjoy the stick and don't have to face traffic and hills, that ok too.

While I have two toy cars, when I just want to go somewhere, 9 out of 10 times I opt to drive the quiet, automatic F150, with overdrive, stock muffler and a working cd player.

zeusmoto said:
HOW DO I BEAT THE RICER!?

Forget the ricer ya' putz. It's you against the 1/4 mile. Now that's racing. Your never going to be the fastest on the street unless you start putting at leat 50 -60 nu-speed stickers on your ride. That's the only language ricers understand.

Oh and every time one of these 16-25 year old punk honda drivin' dorks challenges me (by revvin their rubber-band motor) at a red light, Every time I say "if you want to race, meet me down at woodburn drag-strip", none, not one of them has ever taken up the challenge. NOT ONE!

I don't care what type "R" it is its all type "***" to me!

nuf said.

King of Cobras said:
are you getting lots of smoke or just a chirp.
Car stands still until I let off the brakes or the tires (11 psi or so) heat enough to begin to pull it out. On street tires (245/45/17s) It wont move and will stand in a burnout until the tires pop. Burnouts are easy, its getting traction thats the real challenge! :D

TheUser said:
:rlaugh: wow that's funny, but also a good way of putting it. I can't see myself having an auto stang...won't even look at one that's an auto. I love driving a stick. Have you driven manuals very much? Some like it, some hate it. It's not that big of a deal in traffic...throw it in neutral and hold the brake...why hold the clutch in and wear out your throwout bearing? Like someone else that posted, I raced an auto fox in my basically stock 90 LX 5.0 and smoked him and he had heads, cam, intake, and gears. :nice: In the end, it's personal decision. You might look around for stangs for sale and find a 5 speed and drive one if you haven't before...that should make up your mind in a hurry.

How would you even know it's an Automatic?

from what I've been reading, a good stall converter will hand a beating to Manual driven cars. But it is more expensive. (stall converter's, and installing)

another mod, for Automatic cars would be; a transmission cooler. And a 3000- 3800 stall converter.