bigger throttle body worth it on a stocker/

91lxntch

Sep 27, 2003
altoona,p.a
well im going to turbo my 91 lx and for now the motor will be stock except for arp studs and cometic gaskets..do a mild self port on it and i will keep the f cam thats in it........here is my question would a 70mm t.b and egr spacer help right now or would it benefit me more to spend the 200 on somthign else i need....i was told with stock intake and heads it wont do much...opinions please

• Sponsors (?)

well ill deff need bigger than that for the turbo setup...i know it wont hurt me..but what im asking is wil it help me alot now ..is it worth the 200 bucks now or would it be a better gain once i get h/c/i stuff??
thanks for the reply

91lxntch said:
well ill deff need bigger than that for the turbo setup...i know it wont hurt me..but what im asking is wil it help me alot now ..is it worth the 200 bucks now or would it be a better gain once i get h/c/i stuff??
thanks for the reply
Well I tell you what I would look at ebay and some places on here and get you one cheap or barely used if you are really worried about it, BUT! 70 mm will hurt you with stock setup more than benificial not only that but 65mm will get you up there with other mod's such as cam head's etc. until then ........ever thought of porting out a little with the one you have???? BBK $232 TB and Spacer . :nice:

well i dont want to buy twice and since im going with a big turbo setup ..im sure ill need a lil more than 65..and being that i have a built bottom end in the pl;ans for future stuff i may just wait and yes i will port the stock t.b i have i never thought of that does anyone have a site on info for doing that

The 65mm TB is equivalent to a 650 holley! And the 650 is the most universal carb.It works good on stock HP cars( 200--375hp) And higher hp cars(375--450) Your motor isnt gonna have gobs of hp, so your better off with the 65mm!! It will run better!! P.S. If you do a self porting job,do yourself a favor and grind down those egr bumps!!

It probably won't help unless you've already installed a larger maf. The theory is, maf bigger than tb, supposedly increasing the air flow speed into the manifold, which you will be doing thru the turbo anyway. If you're sticking to stock ported h/i with a turbo, I would personally stay with stock maf and tb. You're not going to increase the breathing quality of the engine that much by porting the stock setup, it's too restrictive. All that air is going to be restricted by the heads and intake, so why increase airflow at the top when it can't get to where it belongs any faster? I'm not saying that the turbo is out, but don't waste money on maf and tb if you're staying with the stock h/i. (Make sure you have lots of fuel and a very good tune also).

The heads and lower intake are more restrictive than the throttle body. Replacing the stocker won't help or hurt your performance; however, the larger unit (70mm) on an otherwise stock engine may affect your drivability. Takes a smaller move on the gas pedal to move just a little air - so you may find low speed drivability takes a bit more feathering of the pedal. No need for it - just wait until you know what you're gonna do. If the money is just burning a hole and you want to do something that you'll notice - throw a set of mufflers/cat back on it. Probably won't actually help performance much, but it'll sound good and carry you for a few months til you can get your other parts.

maybe i should explain better the car actually has a ton of bolt ons except for t.b to pan..the turbo will be here anyday and i have 42#inj 76mm mass etc etc..with the kit.....easily 450 rwhp so im pretty sure 65mm will be too small ..heads and intake will be may..i just dropped 6000 bucks so i have to wait till then..for the block and heads....i guess ill just wait on the t.b

Heres some flow numbers from my Mustang Dyno book:

Throttle Body...Flow@28
------------------------
60 mm............526 cfm
65 mm............616 cfm
70 mm............726 cfm
75 mm............845 cfm
90 mm...........1125 cfm

Heres the MAF meter flow numbers:

Meter.............Size........Flow@28
---------------------------------
Stock 5.0L......58mm......606 cfm
Cobra............70mm.......815 cfm
Pro-M............Bullet.......964 cfm
C&L...............73mm.......1171 cfm
C&L...............80mm.......1415 cfm
Ford...............80mm......1017 cfm
PowerTrain......80mm......1368 cfm
Pro-M Shorty...77mm......1543 cfm
Pro-M Stand....77mm......1562 cfm
Pro-M.............83mm......1598 cfm

Im no turbo guru but your stock heads will hurt you. You maybe disapointed with your stock set up. the heads and intake wont flow enough air to reach your max. Check Ebay. i just picked up a Trickflow R series intake w/75 mm opening for 344.95 shipped. Its brand new. So deals can be had. Me personally i would have done the motor to get ready for the turbo. then Add the turbo. Why one big Turbo ? Why not two somewhat smaller turbo's and get better response and less turbo lag. Thats unless you're going to use some nitrous to spool the turbo up.

Two smaller turbos or nitrous spool ups were developed primarily for smaller displacement engines that don't make much torque when they're off boost - at extremely low rpm or during lag. It's not so much of an issue when you've got 300 cubes to start with.

well turbo was first because it cost the most in one lump to purchase and well i had it so i did it check there site actually turbochargedpower.com it is very impressive ow stock cars are running......and spool it will still spool at an incredible rate and when racing every shift will pull you right back into full boost so its worth it...twin costs alot more and is more of a pain ..now you have 2 of everythign and no room whatsoever