biggest/best tire size on 10 holes?

redknight290

Nov 5, 2007
hey guys,

im lookin to put some better tires in the rear of my stang than the all season's i currently have on there.

they are the stock 15 inch 10 hole rims, it's an 86 gt.

What is the best selection of tire for going on the rear, needs to be rain drivable, but still hook good at the track

any recommendations?

thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Biggest would be about a 255-width tire, as far as being a safe width. I've heard of guys mounting 275's on there, but I wouldn't recommend it unless they were track-only DR's or slicks ... and even then, I wouldn't recommend going that wide.

"Best" is a highly subjective term. Depends on what EXACTLY to mean by "best" - handling, grip, drivability, ride quality, road noise, wet weather traction, hydroplaning resistance, etc. Too many variables to spit out just one size and say it's the best of everything.

i have run 265/50/15's on my 10 holes on my 86 gt for years. they fit fine. there is a polished spot on the lower control arm where they rub slightly at full lock, but its not even enough to hear or feel. mine at dunlop gt qualifiers

265/60s are absolutely perfect. They don't bulge too much, the height is nice...the only problem is that's a pretty uncommon size. I used to run 265/50 Pepboys Futuras and they were very nice but a little on the short side.

Im runnin a 275 Mickey Thompson on 10 holes. Granted they are for the track only, I have driven for a week on them every day with no problems and I drive 45 minutes to an hour one way to the track every Fri night.

DragRacing15Feb2009002.jpg

DragRadials005.jpg

MickeyTs007.jpg

Matt

What do you think about 245/60R15 Radial T/A's? I think I'm taking my 03 cobras off the rear and putting the 10 holes back on. I'm tired of 2 different sets of wheels.