Biggest decision for my car: Blower, or PI swap with nitrous?

GinoGT said:
Vortech kit for $3100? Sounds awefully incomplete to me. Supercharging also creates a whole new money pit. It's so easy to make more power, just turn up the boost. But then you need to have a built bottom end, blah blah blah......
Thats what I was thinking, the 1st time I got beat in a race, I'd be awful tempted to crank up the boost.

• Sponsors (?)

GinoGT said:
Vortech kit for $3100? Sounds awefully incomplete to me. Supercharging also creates a whole new money pit. It's so easy to make more power, just turn up the boost. But then you need to have a built bottom end, blah blah blah......

mine was complete for my 2002 for $3140 earlier this year from Dallas Mustang although I have gotten a custom tune and aviator fuel pump since then , the kits for the 98 and older cars are even cheaper usually ....tuner kits usually run 2500 -2700 range ....if he takes my advice and leaves the heads alone and just does the livernois intake swap kit and PI cams then he would have more money for other things ....

MyEarsHurt said:
Any and all opinions appreciated cause I am about to drop a fat load of cash on this...
Just curious...but are you dead set on brand new parts? I got my PI heads and Intake on Ebay for under $500.00 and they had less than 16,000miles on them.....just another alternative. :shrug:

CanadaStang said:
I went the PI head route with mine as I wanted to keep the reliability and fuel mileage of the stock engine, so I can take it on holidays or whatever,I'd be a little nervous about taking a S/C Stang on a 3000 mile trip to the coast.[S/C guys may argue otherwise, but thats what I was thinking about when I made my choice] If it wasn't for that, I would have went the S/C route. I guess it would depend on what you plan on using the car for.
I'm gonna have to be one of those guys that says otherwise. My kit uses an Eaton, which has proven to be stone reliable in many applications, for years. This is why Ford can build vehicles like the '89-'95Thunderbird SC/Cougar XR-7, '03-04 SVT Cobra and '99-02 Lightnings. Several other manufacturers use the Eaton set up as well, like GM and Mercedes. I agree, if someone starts getting greedy with the boost, there's a good chance that it's going to lead to problems, but otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate going the positive displacement blower route, for a second.

GinoGT said:

With all the supercharged GT's on the road racking up miles, I don't think you need to get a forged shortblock. Plus a lot of cars come straight from the factory now supercharged. Bottom line, you need to have a good tune and setup.

This is from Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords.

"People often ask how long their stock short-block will last with a blower. To them, we point out our "Ice Box" '01 Mustang GT project car. It's had a Vortech SQ on it virtually since it was new. Thanks to a ported set of stock heads, Comp cams and a ported Bullitt intake, it now makes 542 rwhp and runs 11.2 at 126 on pump gas. It is driven daily year round on 93- or 94-octane fuel and has eclipsed 40,000 trouble-free miles on the untouched factory short-block."

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0411mm_super/

Even the factory valve springs are dissed a lot, but SHM say's they are good to 6500. Depending on the cam profile and what RPM I would want would determine if I got aftermarket springs.

I like superchargers since you don't need to change the world to get good hp.
KB has sold a ton of the 2V kits. Like anything, you only hear about problems, but usually not the majority who are satisfied.

Be it a N/A buildup or supercharged, you still need to get a good tune.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Just curious...but are you dead set on brand new parts? I got my PI heads and Intake on Ebay for under $500.00 and they had less than 16,000miles on them.....just another alternative. :shrug:

I'm gonna have to be one of those guys that says otherwise. My kit uses an Eaton, which has proven to be stone reliable in many applications, for years. This is why Ford can build vehicles like the '89-'95Thunderbird SC/Cougar XR-7, '03-04 SVT Cobra and '99-02 Lightnings. Several other manufacturers use the Eaton set up as well, like GM and Mercedes. I agree, if someone starts getting greedy with the boost, there's a good chance that it's going to lead to problems, but otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate going the positive displacement blower route, for a second.

Thats good to know!! :nice:

pi intake, some cams, and blower

can port heads later, from what I gather alot of the guys figured out the cams and intake are the restriction, the low lift numbers are a little better, but some of the gain ia also from compression

pi heads have smaller chambers and dished pistons, npi have larger chamber w/smaller dishes on the pistons, mismatching the two, pi head w/npi piston provides nice bump in compression, where some of the gain comes from, the intake and cams are most of the rest of the gain

I am pretty set on new parts, I have been looking for used superchargers on ebay, but I am kinda nervous about going that route. If I could get all new parts, I would feel much better about the purchase.

I would think about doing a set of stage II or stage III heads and a agressive cam from a reputable company. It's not that much more than regular PI heads. Also with modulars you can run a really agressive cam and some hi flowing heads and drivability is still really good, you just need to find a good tuner.

If your looking at or even think you may want the car to make big power down the road, the heads are coming off.

slow87GT said:
pi heads have smaller chambers and dished pistons, npi have larger chamber w/smaller dishes on the pistons, mismatching the two, pi head w/npi piston provides nice bump in compression, where some of the gain comes from, the intake and cams are most of the rest of the gain
Yeah, I knew that, it's just that from your last post, you made it sound as though that the NPI heads yielded a little more compression....and I was just going to clear you up on it.

slow87GT said:
pi intake, some cams, and blower

can port heads later, from what I gather alot of the guys figured out the cams and intake are the restriction, the low lift numbers are a little better, but some of the gain ia also from compression