Birthday present

DUVAGA

May 18, 2006
A boy and his pony...
Our son just turned 16 and his present was this '67 coupe. We've been working on it off and on for a year or so getting it road worthy and safe. It's still rough around the edges in the looks dept, but we thought he should be doing that phase on his own dime and to his own taste.
The forums have been a huge help in our project, so thought I'd share the happy occasion with ya'll.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Sponsors (?)

Rough around the edges, that looks like a cream puff compared to the '66 I had when I was in High School. It's great to see the next generation appreciating our generation of cars. That's the problem today, kids get new cars and never have to work on them so they never learn how to. In the words of Randy Quaid in Christmas Vaca, "It's the gift that keeps on giving."
Kudos

Wow! :eek: I hope your son someday fully realizes what a great opportunity you've given him :nice:

Didn't get my first ride 'til I was 18; and my parents decreed that my 20-year-older brother go with me to pick one out. (Hey, they provided a princely $1000 on the project, so I couldn't argue) Brother (Art Jr.) ended up selling me his "spare car" - a '73 Gran Torino. 4 doors, full wheel covers, whitewalls. :rolleyes:
My parents loved it, I'm like :doh: Looked like an insurance salesman's car :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I finally found out how cool that engineering geek older brother was.... when he finished helping me "fix her up" -on the sly-, no insurance company would have wanted to cover her; and my parents would have definitely not approved. We got a little serious on that de-smogged Cleveland :D :D :D

StangDreamin' said:
I finally found out how cool that engineering geek older brother was.... when he finished helping me "fix her up" -on the sly-, no insurance company would have wanted to cover her; and my parents would have definitely not approved. We got a little serious on that de-smogged Cleveland :D :D :D
Ya, older brothers can be cool sometimes. It was my brother Dave who got me really hooked on Mustangs by letting me drive Dad's '69 250 I6 coupe (I was 14) around the block in my cousin's neighborhood.

Not to mention that 9 years later in '84, I bought sally from my brother Bob (IPO#2) for $400.............

nice... ive wanted a 60's model mustang ever since my uncle took me for a ride in his 68 back in 82 when i was like 8 yrs old. I bought my wife a 95 v6 for xmas last year, and this year ive got the opportunity to get myself a 65 sixer. Its a bit rough from the 3 pix that were provided by the seller, but I'm checking on it this friday. God willing (fingers crossed) when my 7week old daughter turns 16 I'll be able to hand her the keys when she passes her drivers license test.

but back on topic... I wish my parents had given me a nice mustang like that for my 16th b-day. GG to ya man, GG to ya.

Ya, older brothers can be cool sometimes.

Amen to that. I'm 35 and my brother is 37. We still talk about the summer when he was 15 and I was 13. He had his crappy (at the time) white 71 Camaro w/ green vinyl top and interior. He spent months working on that car in our garage. He got that 6-cyl. running one rainy day. We were so excited. We grabbed two milk crates, threw them in as seats in the stripped interior, and went out and did donuts at the deserted back of our neighborhood while my parents were at work.

I don't know how I didn't end up a Chevy guy, but that is still one of my favorite memories!

Older brothers can rock, teach you fun tricks like getting your Datsun B210 to slide around the back part of a parking lot with 2 McDonald's trays under the rear tires and the E-brake fully engaged. They allow the rear to slide freely, great for doing donuts in a crappy front wheel drive car... just need to watch out for that sound barrier wall... :rlaugh:

But I got lucky and had a family friend getting rid of a 6 cyl 3spd 64 1/2 coupe for $400 that ran and still had the 13" rims on it. Man what a blast that car was, sold it to a 16 year old when I was going off to school. He enjoyed it just as much as I did.

It's still rough around the edges in the looks dept, but......

Beleive me, no it isn't!

My first car, the '65 notch I reference so often, the way I got it(there's an engine in there, BTW):

65Mustang1.jpg

This is how I drove it for a fair bit, at least while it ran:

65Mustang7.jpg

It did't stay ugly, but that's what I started off with.

You do know that you've doomed your kid to being car poor now.......:D

Attachments

• 65Mustang1.jpg
    65Mustang1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 65Mustang7.jpg
    65Mustang7.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 59