bit by the bug again

FirecrackerKTM

Nov 8, 2006
Hey all. Been a Mustang girl in hiding since college, which was when I sold my 69 coupe. But I just got back from SEMA and that's got me wanting to buy a stang again.

What's the going rate for an absolute basket case 67 or 68, preferably a convertible? I've got some Shelby front-end pieces I'd like to stick on a plain ol' coupe or convertible and have some fun with it. It'd be a restomod, so I'd be going through pretty much everything ... wouldn't matter if the car I found was running or not, 6 cyl or not, straight or not.

Anyway I'm currently enmeshed in a Jeep buildup so I don't know when I'll be in the market. All the beautiful rigs at SEMA got me dreaming again though!

• Sponsors (?)

I've always had the opinion that once you get hooked by Mustangs, nothing can shake it. I sold my '65 under less than happy circumstances in '93, swore off Mustangs forever, then sure enough bought my current '68 fastback in '01 and haven't looked back. Welcome to Stangnet!

Yeah the trouble is there are more than one bugs to get bit by! I had a 75 CJ 5 in college and swore I'd never own a Jeep again ... now look at me driving a 95 Wrangler and setting it up to wheel, which makes it an absolute WITCH to drive on pavement. And it wasn't good to begin with.

So my goal, anyway, is to find a basketcase Mustang that needs some love and make a Shelby replica, hopefully a convertible. But (and I know this is anathema to those into restoration) she'll get an updated interior, hot motor, modern suspension ... I have ALL SORTS of plans that far exceed my income.

And man, do I miss that little 69 coupe I had.

Well... I don't know about your area, but I've seen reasonable rolling chassis go for as low as $1000-1500 around here. That being said, basket cases seldom go much farther down.

Good luck in finding the right project for you :nice:

(and on a side note... how do you have only one post??)

Okay, I gotta ask......

KTM, you had a '69 coupe and you're now looking to build a 67-8 Shelby 'vert restomod....

It can't be that small of a world, but I have to ask if the '69 replaced a '68 KR that your Dad originally got for you....
From Rhode Island? Brother's a surgeon who now has the Shelby?
Nah, that would be too small of a world!

EDIT for 3-0-II: Looks like she just joined yesterday; and posts here in Talk don't count.

Welcome to Stangnet!:nice:
All-in-all, a fun place to be, but there are a few things to remember.....:

Hope you brought your bathing suit.......
The Closet and the Gutter are open year round, However the Jacuzzi is currently closed for cleaning and filter change.
Keep your fingers and toes INSIDE the car at ALL times and DO NOT feed or pet the animals (you're welcome to scratch behind my ears or rub my belly if you're so inclined....)
and last but not least.........:
:worthlesb:

StangDreamin' said:
KTM, you had a '69 coupe and you're now looking to build a 67-8 Shelby 'vert restomod....

It can't be that small of a world, but I have to ask if the '69 replaced a '68 KR that your Dad originally got for you....
From Rhode Island? Brother's a surgeon who now has the Shelby?
Nah, that would be too small of a world!

EDIT for 3-0-II: Looks like she just joined yesterday; and posts here in Talk don't count.
Hmmm, it's not that small of a world ... I'm originally from Washington state, now in Colorado, and the 69 I bought at age 16 and built up myself in dad's garage.

We are a Mustang/Ford family tho. Mom has a 68 California Special that's supposed to be mine someday, had a 70 Torino GT and also still has a 55 T-bird.

65stanger said:
Welcome to Stangnet!:nice:
All-in-all, a fun place to be, but there are a few things to remember.....:

Hope you brought your bathing suit.......
The Closet and the Gutter are open year round, However the Jacuzzi is currently closed for cleaning and filter change.
Keep your fingers and toes INSIDE the car at ALL times and DO NOT feed or pet the animals (you're welcome to scratch behind my ears or rub my belly if you're so inclined....)
and last but not least.........:
:worthlesb:
Thanks!

And, ummmm, pics of what?

3-0-II said:
Well... I don't know about your area, but I've seen reasonable rolling chassis go for as low as $1000-1500 around here. That being said, basket cases seldom go much farther down.

Good luck in finding the right project for you :nice:

(and on a side note... how do you have only one post??)
That's probably about what I'm looking for. I'd like to find one as rust-free as possible, but since the whole thing will be under construction for quite some time, I don't mind having to do some bodywork. Unfortunately I moved away from my hometown, and all of my friends there who had the knowledge/skills/resources to help me with bodywork. :(

Welcome!

I built this back in 1983. Is this sorta your goal?

deceiverdone400.jpg

dcver.jpg

I just found out two weeks ago, it is still owned by the same lady! The Deceiver lives!!!!!!

Attachments

• deceiverdone400.jpg
    deceiverdone400.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 63
  • dcver.jpg
    dcver.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 52
Spend the extra few thousand upfront to make sure the body and frame are solid. Rust repair is a real drag and gets real expensive real fast.

Everything else with the car can be junk, but make sure the rust isnt bad.

Take it from someone who learnt the hard way.

BottleFed70 said:
Spend the extra few thousand upfront to make sure the body and frame are solid. Rust repair is a real drag and gets real expensive real fast.

Everything else with the car can be junk, but make sure the rust isnt bad.

Take it from someone who learnt the hard way.
Yeah, my 69 was a rustbucket--quarters were totally rotten--but I didn't care what it looked like, I just wanted it to go fast. This time I'd like something a little cleaner.

Chepsk8, I'll have to check out pics when I get home. My company's internet filter blocks a lot of pictures.

Pics & Info

If you like what you see, I'd be happy to answer any questions. The car was built initially froim 1981 to 1983, then alot of details & redoing from 1985 to 1986. Even won a MCA National first with it! Very much ahead of it's time.

Dan

Wow, I've forgotten where I got the pieces from, but I remember getting the taillight Panel from Tony Branda.

With Shelby's latest crap, the body parts may now be hard to find. Try Tony Branda, see if he still has them. One of our forum members, Jay at Mustang Depot in Vegas can get body parts too. Basically, the parts are like the California specials & 68 Shelby 'Verts. I just liked the look of the 67 taillights better.

Here it is during the process...

Deceiverbefore400.jpg

Attachments

• Deceiverbefore400.jpg
    Deceiverbefore400.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 54