blackvert's n/a buildup thread

• Sponsors (?)

Your planed setup sounds good.I agree you should shoot for 8.5:1 CR.
If you are considering a short block the CHP short blocks are good quality
and their customer service is top notch.One of my friends went with a
CHP 331ci. short block and was very happy with it plus the price was nice.
You should get a different intake manifold the Typoon intake is a genuine
made in China POS.

I just bought some MAC long tubes that are Jet-Hot coated from Eades50. These are a one of a kind item ... :drool:

87306.jpg

BlackVert said:
... there is a guy in Baltimore selling his DSS 306 with 11K miles, worked GT40 heads, X cam, main girdle, windage tray, and ported cobra intake for $2800. I'm checking it out ...
And this guy has come down to $2400. It's still in his wife's Cobra. I'm going to ride in it next week. If it throws me back in my seat, I might just buy it and be done with it.

It's gonna be hard to beat all that for $2400, don't you think?

Chris, before you buy anything I'd contact Rick at http://www.rnhperformance.com I think you'll be surprised at what he can offer for a VERY reasonable price.

Also, that DSS shortblock you are looking at is more than likely not over 10:1 compression with a 58cc head unless it has a slightly domed piston. A standard bore flat top with a 58cc head is only going to be in the mid 9's in terms of compression even with a thin head gasket.

Paul, RNH hasn't responded to my email yet ... :shrug: I guess I'll try again, but I have to say that not responding promptly is a mark against them.

The CR for the 331 short-block is reported to be 9.5:1 with 60cc chambers. 64cc chambers will get me closer to the 9.0:1 I am shooting for.

Forging ahead, a realistic combo is finally starting to take shape ...

- 331 short block, nodular crank, forged pistons and rods
- Canfield 195 heads, 64cc chambers.
- about 9.0:1 compression ratio
- Jay Allen cam
- Scorpion 1.6" rockers
- Pro Products Typhoon Intake
- Jet-Hot coated MAC long tubes
- High-flow cat pipe
- 42# injectors
- Lightning MAF

Jay Allen says that this should net around 350-375 hp at the wheels, on 87 octane gas (because of the compression), have all accessories, and be 50 state emissions legal. :nice:

With that kind of power N/A, I don't need the blower!

Assuming I can get $2000 for the KB (yes the price is going down), $500 for the Thumpers, $100 for the E/L shorty headers, and $250 for the Snow Methanol kit, I'm looking at a total cash outlay of about $2100. :cool:

Of course, that goes down if I can find some acceptable used heads that already have springs that can handle Jay's cam.

BlackVert said:
Paul, RNH hasn't responded to my email yet ... :shrug: I guess I'll try again, but I have to say that not responding promptly is a mark against them.

The CR for the 331 short-block is reported to be 9.5:1 with 60cc chambers. 64cc chambers will get me closer to the 9.0:1 I am shooting for.

Forging ahead, a realistic combo is finally starting to take shape ...

- Canfield 195 heads, 64cc chambers.
- Jay Allen cam
- Scorpion 1.6" rockers
- High-flow cat pipe
- 42# injectors
- Lightning MAF

Jay Allen says that this should net around 350-375 hp at the wheels, on 87 octane gas (because of the compression), have all accessories, and be 50 state emissions legal. :nice:

With that kind of power N/A, I don't need the blower!

Assuming I can get $2000 for the KB (yes the price is going down), $500 for the Thumpers, $100 for the E/L shorty headers, and $250 for the Snow Methanol kit, I'm looking at a total cash outlay of about $2100. :cool:

Of course, that goes down if I can find some acceptable used heads that already have springs that can handle Jay's cam.

Chris, place your blower and other parts in the classified section over at Corral. Put up some good pictures in your post. I've sold all of my old parts (heads, intake, cam, injectors, fuel pump, gauges, CC Plates, piston rings etc, etc.) except for the 65mm TB in less than 3 weeks. Seems you get more responses in the Classified section over there than here. Check it out.

Blackvert I apoligize for not responding but I have not seen any e-mail from you. Please try sending it direct to me and I will see if I can help if you are still interested. [email protected]

Paul, thanks for the heads up I have not had the time latley to be on SN like I normal did.

Rick 91GT said:
Blackvert I apoligize for not responding but I have not seen any e-mail from you. Please try sending it direct to me and I will see if I can help if you are still interested. [email protected]

Paul, thanks for the heads up I have not had the time latley to be on SN like I normal did.

No problem Rick. I have a few questions for you, so look for an email from me later. Thanks!
-Paul

Rick 91GT said:

i understand. i used this page:

http://www.rnhperformance.com/contact.htm

i'll get another one together and send it off before long...

thanks! it's starting to come together. here's where it is now:

- WP Windsor Senior ported heads, 64cc chambers (got a great price)
- Jay Allen cam
- Proform 1.6" rockers
- High-flow cat pipe
- 42# injectors
- Lightning MAF

i'm getting part numbers together and stuff. i'll post it when i get it together and you guys can tell me what i'm missing.

BlackVert said:
Anyone use these rockers? The price is right.

Proform #66912 1.6 roller rockers, 7/16" stud

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...804215+4294908395+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

Chris

The very instant I saw the name Proform ......................

Red Flags of Caution went up.

IIRC, here or over at the Corral I saw one or more threads where these rr's let go and tiny roller bearings went everywhere.

I could be wrong so you would be wise to do the search thing to make sure.

Grady