blew up my engine

jfran430

Jan 8, 2007
Connecticut
alright so just like the title says, i need a new engine .. appearnetly i had a leak or am burinig oil and it went bone dry. my own fault i geuss because i never check m oil. i always just change it at 2500 miles. never in a million years would i think i could lose that much that fast. but regardless the problem is internal (i had it towed to a ford dealership) so now im in the market for an engine. I have a 97 and i havent done any research yet because im trying to get this done quickly so im goign to ask her and then look around. what i do know is obv i have a 32 valve and the easiest would be to find a direct replacemtn form a 96-98. but then i have many more options like newer cobra's mach 1's lincoln's. what are my best bets and what should i watch out for? if my head were still good should i hold on to them to try on the new engine or intake? or what about wiring harness for all ? i have never done an engine swap but i have a kid who will do it and he said hed let me help(side job, but hes done plenty). soryr for so much guys but i need help!
oh and im sorry i blew up a cobra engine .. i really did baby this car ..

• Sponsors (?)

I alway park my car in the garage, some time I just went out their, turn on the light, pop the hood and start checking thing, I feel happy when im doing that :rlaugh:. I guess I have nothing else to do :lol:.

Check E-bay, 99/01 Cobra's have different heads, as do the 03/04 Cobra's and Mach 1's.

Not 100% sure that a newer year motor is a 100% swap in, but i'm fairly sure it is nearly direct.

sorry to hear about the car bro.

you didnt notice any leaks on your car?

Mustangs have issues man. Mine ate 1/2 a quart of oil one trip to the drag strip... probaly 250 miles max.

No smoke, no leaks. Just sucks it up the PCV valve and back into the intake where it leaves a residue and SLOWLY gets burned off.

I have a 2000 GT motor in my 97 GT. If you go to a Ford wrecking yard you could find a motor out of a 2000 and newer mustang. maybe go with a 05 GT motor because they have the new heads. Have you torn it apart to see what the damage is?

havent found any leaks yet. im thinking i might have been burning more then i was leaking but idk .. and no havent yet torn it down. im just looking around right now, and if possible id like to keep my block but then again who knows how bad the damage is. i think my best bet would be to buy a new engine and then tear her apart and see what i have to work with. and as for the newer heads ont the newer cobra's and mach's, are they better then mine? im pretty sure my block is better but im not sure about the heads...

All really depends on your budget. You could piece together a forged motor for what you can buy new 99-04 4v's (lumping Cobra and Mach's together). With the Mach I's, you have to make sure you get a motor that had the 3650 attached or you won't get the forged crank amongst other goodies. Here is a link that has explains all the differences in 4v heads:

4v Engine Head info.... Detailed... - MercuryMarauder.net Forums

ok guys .. idk if it will work directly but i just got off the phone with a friend who owns a few junk yards and he has an 02 navigator engine (5.4 DOHC) for less then 2,000 with less then 70k miles...i think its a steal no matter what but i have no idea if it will bolt up (i doubt im that lucky lol). obv it is an auto and i have a 5 speed .. theres one concern. or what if i was top buy it and build my own. what could and couldnt i use?