Blew up my rear end, getting gears tomorrow. Can't tell if this is a good thing...

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. Two days ago a U joint on my car let go, and the driveshaft started knocking. Today, I got home, and there was gear oil all over my rear valence. Apparently my stock rear end has shat the bed. I did some calling, and tomorrow I am getting a recently rebuilt very low mile 8.8 rear end with 3.73s for 500.00. I am also getting an aluminum driveshaft for 180.00. I had to refinance my car loan to do this. I know I should be stoked about getting gears, and I've had them in other stangs so I know it's great, but an extra 1400.00 in loans isn't making me happy. I guess once I step on it with them in, I'll be happy, and now I can do my motor on spring break as planned, so I'll be really happy. I'm probably going to have my old rear rebuilt, and either sell it or keep it as a spare. Just figured I'd share... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Why don't you pull the rearend out, buy the rebuild kit that has all the bearings and races from Summit for $80.69(SUM-G7819), the gears for $180, and the driveshaft for $160?

That's about $420, plus some for supplies and labor, but it gets you a completely NEW rearend, and you don't have to worry about the used one having some problems you don't know about.Also a far cry from $1400.

You sure the pinion nut didn't back off and let the companion flange come loose? I have never heard of a fairly stock 5.0 taking out an 8.8 :shrug:

It's driving all kinds of funny, so I know something's going on back there. The 1400.00 is not all going to this, the new rear is 500, the drive shaft is 180 and the labor is 125. I am gonna rebuild the busted rear and keep it as a spare. I'm pretty sure the pumpkin is toast, though. It's making noises and the car feels slushy, and it spilt all of it's oil.