Block Going To Machine Shop In The Am

OonDeanisS

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Danbury, CT
i know this is short notice, but im taking my 351w block to the local ford guy tomorrow morning to have him check it out and determine if its acceptable to use it for my build... im planning to stroke it to a 408. the block is from a 1982 truck, im not sure if it was a f-150 or f-250. Anyway, are there any questions or things i should bring up when i drop it off to him? i plan for him to clean and inspect the block, and if all looks good, then prep it for the 408. Paint, plugs, new bearings, bore, hone, and install the rotating assembly. Then ill take it home and finish the job :nice: anything you can think of that i should watch out for? thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

well, i dropped off the bare block, and my builder told me its a waste to pressure test it unless it had been overheated or frozen, because these blocks are strong and dont crack. He said its a 1 in 1000 chance of it cracking from anything else given it was in a stock vehicle. So i said thats cool, but do it anyway. Id rather not take the chance. so hes going to clean the block, inspect it and pressure test it then call me back hopefully with good news. Then he wants to deck it, bore it out, and install new bearings. He said you can get away with not line-honing it. idk why.

I found that the cast scat 408 kit on LMR has pro stock I beam rods and forged pistons, and a cast crank. are those rods forged? this guy says the h-beams are better. Does it really matter? its going to be a daily driven street car, with no power adder. He also recommended that i use edelbrock e-street 205 heads over ARP because the ARP heads are good but they are overpriced. he said he has a "big ford cam" that he can give me for 150, and said he would give me the link bar lifters for 400. With that setup he estimated ill be close to 500hp.

any thoughts?