Block heater leak?

trinity_gt

10 Year Member
Jan 31, 2003
Canada
Tromped on my KB 2V Saturday and was greeted by a rather sizeable and billowing cloud of steam behind me. At first I thought I'd hurt the motor but it was running on all 8, no noises, no apparent power loss or stumbling, no coolant in the oil, no steam out the tailpipes that I could tell etc. Pull over to the side of the road and notice it's pissing coolant near the back of the motor. Thought I might've popped a heat hose but up-top everything looked fine. Only a few miles from home so I get her there (temp gauge never moved over 1/4 -- KB 160-deg thermostat...) and jack it up. Start the car up and it appears coolant is coming out the block heater located at the rear-most core plug hole on the driver's side. The block above the heater seems dry so it's not coolant leaking from above this point.

From it's appearance I gather this is just one of those O-ring deals with the screw/bolt in the middle to draw it tight against the block. In the middle of summer once in a while I caught a whiff of coolant smell but never found a leak; no puddle or spotting under the car, no steam etc. Just the odor of coolant. I have to think that Saturday's eruption was related to that, that perhaps it had been weeping a bit and getting ready to go...

Anyone else ever experienced one of these things letting go?

• Sponsors (?)