Block Issue Can This Be Fixed?

sharp2377

May 22, 2012
I just stripped my 351w block down and noticed this chip missing at the timing cover water hole. Can this be fixed or am I screwed? There seems to be about 60% of the threads left and the chip is contained and not going through the block. I don't have the chip. I was thinking about having a stud welded in but this is my 408w block and I don't want issues. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20150919_224751.jpg
    20150919_224751.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

It holds the bolt pretty tight in there but I know my machine shop guy is really particular about building a stroker with a flawed block. it sucks because this is nice roller block 351w on stock bore just screaming for a stroker kit.

1. Grease the bolt and run it in.

2. Jb weld up the broken part with the bolt in it. Edit: let it cure..

3. Unscrew the bolt, and tap it for a helicoil just like any damaged hole. It will be strong enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone, I feel a little better. I have been stressed out about this all week. The block believe it or not has sentimental value since it was my first build and got me in the low 11s on stock bottom end spraying 100 on cast pistons lol. Now it's time to step my game up!

I don't like the idea of using it to be completely honest... for the 150$ that another core would cost before machine work and other expenses I would go the route of sourcing a "good" block