Blower VS H/C/I

Well ???????? What no takers on this one????????

Why on earth would he put on a hard to tune head gasket blowing thing and offer a warranty???

That's because the headgasket (I imagine studs) are already installed with a OEM style tune.

Dodge Viper offers a warranty on their 500hp N/A v10. So what is the point?

The S351 tune and parts are hardly much, but most enthusiast like to squeeze and get greedy with power. That is where problems occur, not with the mediocre parts on the S351 for power making. Still a very nicely rounded car!

• Sponsors (?)

That's exactly what Saleen77 has been trying to say! If it's tuned correctly, a blower car is awsome and won't harm any head gaskets! Please define OEM tune.. That car was the furthest thing from OEM at the time. And those parts weren't exactly "mediocre", it did make 500 HP!

The one thing I forgot to point out with a supercharger is that you don’t want to hit the factory rev limiter. It pulls out fuel which is not good. This is how head gaskets get blown. Get an ignition system that pulls out timing or spark.

The question is does it pull out spark or cut it altogether. Cutting fuel completely can be fine in a boosted setup as with no fuel there is no risk of detonation. There are many OEM vehicles that cut fuel to alternating cylinders on no load deceleration.

Keep in mind too that simply pulling out timing will not suffice as a rev limiter. You need a device that allows you to cut spark completely to alternating cylinders (to prevent loading the cyl's with fuel) in order to get achieve a solid rev limiter.

That's exactly what Saleen77 has been trying to say! If it's tuned correctly, a blower car is awsome and won't harm any head gaskets! Please define OEM tune.. That car was the furthest thing from OEM at the time. And those parts weren't exactly "mediocre", it did make 500 HP!

You could easily put more aggressive heads, cam, intake with a blower with more boost and make more power, guaranteed. OEM tune is super safe. It doesn't just have h/c/i, it also has a blower so that all adds up.

If you are going to daily drive this car, get a h/c/i setup. It is just better for longevity. You 'unrestrict' the engine and make it more effiecient. Volumetric efficiency shoots up because you release power not force power.

What I was trying to get across on Saleen using a Vortech was that they were a reliable way to go. The Foxbody ones relate more to this thread. He took a stock 302 put one on with a FMU. In this thread people seemed to think that they were a head gasket blowing tuning nightmare. He put them on and could retain all the drivability and sell them to the public with a warranty. ( I was trying to say this all along, they have good drivability.) No It wasn’t because they had new gaskets. New head gaskets will blow right away if things are not right. And no he didn’t put head studs on.

The S351 was different and didn’t relate as well to this thread. I shouldn’t have mentioned it. As for it being “Mediocre” well let me put it this way. 12yrs ago when they came out they were the highest horsepower car made in the U.S., for years this remained unchanged! They ranged (depending what year) from 480 -505hp Vipers had 450hp back then. They also had massive torque. This was years ago! They ran in the11’s with slicks! I read about one who did I few minor things and got into the 10’s! This was a very small company back then. He didn’t have massive amounts of money to spend like the big guys. In 94 & 95 he didn’t even make 175 cars total! He bolted on H/C/I and a Vortech. Sure he could have made them even more radical but remember they had to be 50 state emission legal and he had to offer a warranty.

Anyway I did have fun with this thread but I just sound like a broken record now. I repeat myself over and over. I was using the latest test I knew of that was that tested stock, stock with a blower, H/C/I, and H/C/I & blower to show what happened. I know you guys think it’s a bad test and the magazines are corrupt but I believe it is what happened.
They put on a Edelbrock kit and made less power than stock until 3700rpm. Say its wrong, drop that rpm by 1000 so now its 2700rpm. You are still past the cruising rpm so mileage will suffer. With a Vortech kit it won’t. But I know you don’t believe me because now you believe it’s to the point that these h/c/i/ kits make more power from 1500rpm if not idle than stock. There is nothing I can say anymore that hasn’t already been said.

I did enjoy going back and forth with you guys! I hope I made you think about some
things!!

Oh yeah on the factory rev limiter, they pull fuel and head gaskets go POP! I’m sorry I worded it wrong on an aftermarket ignition. Yes, I meant one that had a factory rev limiter that alternated between cylinders. Sorry, I should have explained that in more detail.

Many of us are trying to say that the Edelbrock h/c/i package they offered is not putting out near the amount of power as many h/c/i guys.

Those are also peak numbers, which centri chargers are very well known for. The average powerband is not taken into account. I don't think I would want to see it anyways with those h/c/i that aren't matched well. Guys routinely get 290-310rwhp out of their h/c/i.

I know if put 8psi of boost on my daily driver with stock engine I would not have seen a 10 mph gain in 1,000 feet. Shorter than a quarter mile.

Yes in that test the car was quicker with the S-trim, but the h/c/i they compared it too was very mediocre and not very well thought out.

175 cars should say it all.

Oh yeah on the factory rev limiter, they pull fuel and head gaskets go POP! I’m sorry I worded it wrong on an aftermarket ignition. Yes, I meant one that had a factory rev limiter that alternated between cylinders. Sorry, I should have explained that in more detail.

Actually, I worded my post incorrectly. It's fixed now. Fuel cut does not necessarily equal popped gaskets. As previously stated, without fuel there can be no lean condition as there is no combustion...which means your head gaskets should be safe.