Blowing Fuses Like Paris Hilton

Frank.Rizzo

Dec 23, 2003
Central Oregon
Hey Everyone,

I have a 94 GT and was looking through posts on StangNet because my turn signal/brake light fuse keeps blowing.

Someone suggested that it may be the brakes, but it doesn't seem like the brakes are directly causing the problem - I mean if I step on the brake, it doesn't immediately blow again. It just randomly blows 3 to 4 minutes from the time the fuse is replaced . . . I can use the brakes and turn signals multiple times during this first 3 or 4 minutes without the fuse blowing.

The other suggestion was that it was a ground problem, but I don't even know where to start trouble-shooting that one.

I was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem? Also, can someone tell me what else besides the brakes and turn signals are connected to this fuse? Maybe something else is blowing it?

Any info. or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Frank Rizzo

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have any aftermarket lights that are hooked up to your turn signals? I had side marker lights that blinked with my turn signals and one day I started blowing a fuse everytime I put on my right blinker on. Turns out my right side marker(aftermarket) was not grounded properly. Whether or not you have added lights, I would check all grounds.

You definitely need to first narrow down whats causing the fuse to blow. Put a new in and start the car and do nothing and see if you get past this 3-4 minute standard popping time. Then start doing things one at a time. EX. left turn signal, wait, if nothing, then right turn signal, wait, if nothing, brakes, wait, if nothing, I believe the hazards are on the same fuse.

BTW do either of your turn signal lights stay illuminated after the fuse blows? Because when my right turn signal was causing the fuse to blow, after it popped the right turn signal dash light would stay lit.

95strokerPSU said:
You definitely need to first narrow down whats causing the fuse to blow. Put a new in and start the car and do nothing and see if you get past this 3-4 minute standard popping time. Then start doing things one at a time. EX. left turn signal, wait, if nothing, then right turn signal, wait, if nothing, brakes, wait, if nothing, I believe the hazards are on the same fuse.

BTW do either of your turn signal lights stay illuminated after the fuse blows? Because when my right turn signal was causing the fuse to blow, after it popped the right turn signal dash light would stay lit.

Instead of using a regular fuse each time, you should get a resettable ATC fuse and put it in it's place. That way while you are looking for problems, you can just leave that fuse in & not worry about swapping fuses all the time.

A light essentially is a very close short to ground, passing current through a tiny wire. If the ground is not very good, it increases the resistance, which creates a larger amp draw, which thus blows your fuse. Start with each assembly and see if you find anything.

If all else fails, unplug all of the lights on the circuit and see if it still does it, then start adding lights back until you find the one that blows the fuse.
Scott

I had the same prob. with my 5 speed car. I found that the clutch quad. was rubbing the brake switch wires when I fully depressed the clutch. It is a two wire bundle directly above the the quadrant under the dash. I retaped the wires, rerouted, and no more fuse problem. Hope this helps.

95strokerPSU, mo_dingo & 5's enough;

Awesome ideas, had never even thought of the ATC fuse and I just had my clutch quadrant replaced with a Steeda quadrant . . . so that may be a good place to start.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out. I will keep you posted and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Frank Rizzo

Resettable ATC Fuse?

mo_dingo said:
Instead of using a regular fuse each time, you should get a resettable ATC fuse and put it in it's place. That way while you are looking for problems, you can just leave that fuse in & not worry about swapping fuses all the time.

Hey Mo_Dingo,

Any ideas where to get a resettable ATC fuse? :shrug:

The Pep Boys autoshop guys are looking at me with blank stares . . .

Thanks!

Frank Rizzo

Frank, the parts stores should all have circuit breakers like Scott is talking about (well, I dont know if he is talking about the same thing, but I use CB's like we have for things like window motors, wipers, etc). They are in the fuse aisle of the parts store. Like I said, Scott might be talkin about another item, so answers might differ.

I had the same problem for about a year and a half. I tried everything, including checking all wires, blinker module, brake stuff. I tried bypassing stuff with a in-line fused wire and I just got fed up one night and put a 20A fuse in and it hasn't blown yet and I have had no problems.

I know how you feel though. I wanted to sell my car I was sooo pissed

HISSIN50 said:
Frank, the parts stores should all have circuit breakers like Scott is talking about (well, I dont know if he is talking about the same thing, but I use CB's like we have for things like window motors, wipers, etc). They are in the fuse aisle of the parts store. Like I said, Scott might be talkin about another item, so answers might differ.

Nope, I think we are talking about the same thing. It's essentialy a auto-reset circuit breaker for 12V systems, with the ATC blades. Mine are particularly tall, so the blades are exposed for easy testing. Don't know what they have in the parts isle, but if JT seems to think they have it, I bet they do. When you said resettable fuse, they just didn't put 2 and 2 together likely.
Scott

Scott, nice description of them. :nice:

Checker, for one, has them. I install them on lighting circuits when I do rewiring with relays and such (on the bikes and fox).

HISSIN50 said:
Scott, nice description of them. :nice:

Checker, for one, has them. I install them on lighting circuits when I do rewiring with relays and such (on the bikes and fox).

Well cool, glad to know you can get them easily.

They are so handy when looking for shorts (used one yesterday in fact). I get a jumper wire with aligator clips, and attach the load side to my test light, so whenever the fuse pops, the test light goes off, and when it comes back on, the light comes on.

And a 50ft wire with aligator clips on each end is the 2nd greatest tool I have; My leatherman being the first.
Scott