blue oval news!!! v6 from 20. and limeted edition 50.000

yellow5.0cobra said:
The last COBRA R was good, but it was a VERY unique car as it had a UNIQUE one off engine, plus they ONLY made 300... and other items that were NOT available to be mass produced.

Its a big jump from $18,000 V6 to a $50k V8...

Its not so bad when a 325, which starts at $28k-$31k(coupe) and the M3 is $43k-$47k(coupe).

Its only ~$15k difference.. which I can personally say is reasonable.

A $50K Mustang better have 5valves per cylinder and one hell of a HP/Performance level.

Plus for 50k, I want electric locks, windows, A/C, uh..how about a back seat. 50k is what you pay for a high performance car with all of the luxuries, not a stripper.

• Sponsors (?)

Lawman85 said:
If your average 22 year old rich kid can turn his $25,000 GT into a BMW and Vette eater for a mere $15,000, what do you think Ford could do with an extra $25,000. I think the next Cobra R, or Shelby, or whatever they call it, could definately compete, or destroy, anything that GM could mass produce. Think of the potential.... they have the 500+hp technology (Ford GT and Lightning), they have IRS technology even on their SUV's, and now they have the best chassis ever put under a Mustang.
Ford has already proven they can build a super car that out performs any exotic for a fraction of the cost. I think they have the potential to dominate the sports car market with the new Stang. Let's just pray the right engineers get picked to work on it.

The new C6 will have 400+ hp and the Z06 will have 500. The 03 cobra weighs about 500lbs more than the vette, and the front to rear weight ratio, IRS, and overall chassis and suspension dynamics are much better on the vette. Why is everyone in here always comparing a four seat ponycar to a two seat sports car? A 25,000 dollar GT with 15,000 dumped into it is 40k. It may outperform a stock vette in a straight line, or maybe not, but it will still be a gussied up GT with inferior ride and handling. And what stops the vette owner from dumping 15k into his car? The mustang has its place in the market, and it fills it very well. But until Ford can produce a two seater sports car that can compete, and mass produce it, then Chevy owns that catagory. And the super car GT your referring to does not outperform any supercar. It is a great car, but for eighty plus grand it won't outsell the Z06 that has the same horsepower for 50k.

mp67 said:
And the super car GT your referring to does not outperform any supercar. It is a great car, but for eighty plus grand it won't outsell the Z06 that has the same horsepower for 50k.

The Ford GT is going to sticker around $150,000

I think that's what you're talking about.

you are forgeting exclusivity and the fact that the gt will only be availible through 2007 and with the engineering as it is currently gm will be hard pressed to equal it with its blue devil variant which will be more than the z06.

yellow5.0cobra said:
Its a big jump from $18,000 V6 to a $50k V8...

Its not so bad when a 325, which starts at $28k-$31k(coupe) and the M3 is $43k-$47k(coupe).

Its only ~$15k difference.. which I can personally say is reasonable

You're a bit out of touch. The MSRP on a M3 Coupe starts @ $47,795, or $20K more than the cheapest 325i. It is damn near impossible to buy a stripper M3 w/o any options and M3s usually sell at or above MSRP.

Fully loaded, a M3 Coupe goes for $65,100 MSRP, a mere $37K more than a base 325i.

You can get a fully loaded M3 Vert up to $68,600 MSRP.

yellow5.0cobra said:
So.... I take it your AGREEING with me?

I would like a COBRA-R with FULL LUXURY, and MASS produced... not only 300 units... and you get diddly squat.

Yes, fully optioned, mass produced and a 5.4 engine. But at 50k it better not only run with the Z06 in the quarter, but on top end and in the twisty's, and give a decent ride. That's a tall order for Ford, but thats what the Z06 does.

The Z06 also doesn't seat 4. The Mustang is a muscle car (big, heavy, seats 4, no need to worry about aerodynamics, etc.). The vette is more a sports car, small, light (in comparison), near racecar ready.

I don't think there is anything Ford could do to the Mustang short of severe reconstruction (shortening wheelbase, etc.) to get in the vette's all-around performance territory. They tried with the '00 Cobra R and got close, but still couldn't match the Vette in the twisties--and the Vette was even cheaper if I remember correctly. It is all about size and weight at a road course.

But, then again, that isn't Ford's goal. The Mustang is supposed to be different than the vette... and the M3... and everything else for that matter. Doesn't make it any less of a car.

Rampant said:
The Mustang is a muscle car (big, heavy, seats 4, no need to worry about aerodynamics, etc.).

I thought the Mustang was a pony car. The muscle cars are what were called "intermediate" sized family cars with one freaking big V8 under the hood. Like a Ford Torino with a 429 Cobra Jet, or an Olds Cutlass 442 with a 455.

Big, heavy, seats 6 (with the typical front bench seat), and great only on straight-aways.

I think the pony car is actually a sub-division of the muscle car genre. As for superchargers not being muscle to move the car. I think you would have a hard time getting people to agree with you.

yellow5.0cobra said:
No... just a small example...

But 400hp N/A out of a 5.4 would be SWEET... and that is pure MUSCLE.

Supercharger is not muscle, as it is a power adder.

I like that idea. But how about 500 N/A. If the Z06 can do it with the same size engine, then so can ford. And then the consumer can choose to add a supercharger for another 150hp. SWEEEEEEET.

yellow5.0cobra said:
The upper numbers are for a Vert...

I used the coupe price as a base.

Sounds like you don't want to be confused with the facts.

The 2004 M3 coupe STARTS @ $48K and tops out @ $65K

The 2004 M3 vert STARTS @ $57.8K and tops out @ $69K

Since you're in NY, you must be buying stolen BMW's from Tony Soprano.