blue smoke

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by chef_333, Dec 7, 2003.

1. chef_333

chef_333 New Member

Hey,

my car seems to run fine, but it smokes a lot. I have a minor oil leak that might be hitting the header smoking up, but it seems to start to smoke soon after I go down the street, before the engine gets hot.

I did a head swap with 3 stage value job, is their someway oil can be getting into the pistons buring up in there, and sending out smoke?

when I did the head swap I got great compression on all pistons (220psi on all 8).

So is it just an oil leak onto a hot survice, or am I smoking oil from inside of my engine? :shrug: Any help would be great.

would thicker oil help?

2. Dark Knight GT

Dark Knight GT I can't get it up......ok that didn't sound right.

A good way to pinpoint the problem is for you to tell us where the smoke appears to be comming from ? If its inside the motor, you would have the smoke comming out the tail pipes.

3. 01bullittstang

01bullittstang Banned

hey chief, if you're so worried get the oil leak fixed. Then if it still smokes come back and i'll tell you what's wrong with it. Later.

4. chef_333

chef_333 New Member

Well,

the smoke seems to come from the under side of the motor, the problems is it doens't seem to come from any one place. Now, when the car is running in my garge, I do not notice any smoke of the tial, but a tow truck who drive behind me told me he thought he saw blus smoking coming out the drive side tail pipe.

5. jadesville

jadesville the polarbear conservation corps protects a polarb

accually now that i think about it, its probably a gasket thats giving you troubles, but like what the others said, check first..

6. jstreet0204

jstreet0204 Active Member

Like others have said pinpoint the source of the smoke first. Take it down the road unitl you start to notice it, then bring it back in the driveway and let it idle while looking for the smoke. If you don't see it it coming from under the hood, rev it up a few times and see if it comes out the tailpipe.

7. Modular2v

Modular2v Founding Member

what could cause blue smoke? something has to be burning.

8. chef_333

chef_333 New Member

Well,

it comes from under the hood, I see that. BUT if you are burhing oil within the engine would it be coming out of the engine area? I figure if I am burning oil that way it would only come out the bakc. I never seen blue smoke some out of my tail pipe, but I see smoke coming from under my hood all the time. it always seem to be less after driving a around for a little while. So, if I don't see any extra smoke coming out of the exhaust then the smoke from under the hood is for a leak? I need to fix that leak, but it's small, and I am in the middle of selling my house and moving so can't really work on my car right now.

9. Dan_Soprano

Dan_Soprano Mustang Master

your valve covers are probably leaking onto the exhaust manifolds.