BMW's and brake dust...........

streethorse

15 Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Dallas Texas
I keep seeing BMW's here in North Dallas with incredibly filthy dirty
wheels covered in black redish brake dust. Why would spend 50k on a car
and not have clean wheels. Sometimes I want to roll down the window
and yell ..... get some wheel cleaner you dumb__s !!!

• Sponsors (?)

Ive noticed that also. I think its because those honeycomb looking wheels have 90 spokes and are hard to clean? Or maybe they just dont care.... Ive always noticed that too. Probably wont clean them unless its offered at the BMW dealer.

the ultimate driving machine. bmw pads are designed to throw off dust. brake pads that stop really really well without fade will tend to be noisy and throw off dust. besides, you get free pads and rotors for the first 4 years, 50k miles.

a lot of mustangs have it to, mostly from people too lazy to wash the cars. ford trucks in particular are bad for it.

it can be real fun when you work at a carwash, most of our regulars stop before they pay and use our free bucket of detergent and either the wheel brush or pole brush, rarely do i have to run a rewash on anything but bmw,audi,vw,porsche,volvo
we do not use any acids so chemical calibration is extremely important, combine that with our high pressure wheel cleaners and we're the best at what we do..

http://sonnysdirect.com/pc-116-35-spinner-pivoting-wheel-cleaner.aspx
if you're interested in what goes on in a conveyor wash

Mine are filthy. Its hard to clean between them little spokes. Thats why I bought simple saleen 5 spokes for the stang. Those are filthy too though, so I guess it didnt work. I'm too busy with other crap right now.:notnice:

it can be real fun when you work at a carwash, most of our regulars stop before they pay and use our free bucket of detergent and either the wheel brush or pole brush, rarely do i have to run a rewash on anything but bmw,audi,vw,porsche,volvo
we do not use any acids so chemical calibration is extremely important, combine that with our high pressure wheel cleaners and we're the best at what we do..

http://sonnysdirect.com/pc-116-35-spinner-pivoting-wheel-cleaner.aspx
if you're interested in what goes on in a conveyor wash

i used to work at a car wash, my boss was a nazi

It's not necessarily that the people are lazy. My father recently got a used bmw and within a couple hours of driving after a wash, the wheels start getting dirty again. It kind of sucks because you spend all that time washing them, then they dirty right back up. I must say though the brakes feel extremly good with little to no fade. I've waxed the wheels on my stang (with nxt) and that seems to make them way easier to clean, I guess that could be tried too with them.

the ultimate driving machine. bmw pads are designed to throw off dust. brake pads that stop really really well without fade will tend to be noisy and throw off dust. besides, you get free pads and rotors for the first 4 years, 50k miles.

Bingo. BMW's achieve that awesome braking with a soft compound. The drawback is dust. Z06 owners are always bitching about their brakes being dusty but that's a sacrifice for performance.

BMW offers free maintainence anyway, so if the pads wear out at 10K miles you get new brakes for free.

But yes, it always irked me when i see people driving $50K+ cars with filthy front wheels. The worst is when it's a woman and the wheels are curbed to hell. :bang: