Boat People

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
So I got the car through emissionsin July, and haven't touched it since then. Some might hate me, but my time lately has been spent on this, my 1988 27' IMP. I purchased it for a song, and decided to update and upgrade it. Lately it has been mechanical work, and a lot of wood refinishing. I'm hoping to get it out for a sea trial by the end of the season, but imagine having twice the engines, and 3 times the amount of things that can go wrong!!! I know there are some other boat people on here!

View attachment 249306
View attachment 249307
View attachment 249308
View attachment 249309
View attachment 249310

• Sponsors (?)

It's funny you mention this. I was looking at boats on Craigslist last week, thinking about how cheaply I could pick one up. I think that's part of the allure though, then you're stuck with thousands in repairs to make something seaworthy.

boats can be fun but lots of work.when i was a kid my dad always had boats and it seems like if it wasnt sinking he would be working on it.if my wife wasnt so scared of motion sickness i would have one too but she doesnt have her sea legs yet!good luck looks great. phil

Yeah, boats are cheap now, because of this economy! I actually grabbed mine right before the big dump the economy took. I'm always scouring CL still for boats, and found a few I would love to snag, fix and resell! Maybe when I'm out of my apartment and have the room for it. Parents would hate if I had two or three large boats in the yard!

Yes that many gauges. Imagine all the same ones for a car/truck, as well as a few extras. I need to make sure all of them work. The wiring under there needs to be checked and organized better.

Minus the jokes, yes I redid the wood. All the wood on the exterior was badly weathered. The cabin wood was in fine shape, but not what I wanted it to look like.

The boat is roomy, although not as roomy as it could be. It is listed as a 27' boat, with an 8.5' beam (I believe) and a 6000 lb net weight. A lot of 27'ers out there are in 9-10' beam range. That makes them roomier, but also heavier and cause issues with towing them. You need permits and such. No good if you ask me.

Here is a before pic (from a couple days ago) before cleaning and refinishing the drawer below the helm seat. A good indication of the condition of the wood before.

View attachment 249259

And some before, and durings of the cabin. :D

As Purchased:
View attachment 249260

A few days after:
View attachment 249261

And now:
View attachment 249262

Forget boats, my exhaust manifold and riser are shot lol. So much for my sick 400 dollar boat. Had it out on the lake for a half hour and ended up getting water in the oil. Hopefully gonna be able to repair it, otherwise a new manifold for that 2.3L is 1000! That boat looks pretty sweet, have some fun with it!

I relly would like another boat, the only problem is instead of a $3000.00 investment, it turns into a $6000.00 investment just to get it to the the lake lol....the later number figuring in a pickup or SUV to haul it of course....

Nice. Is that the boat I saw last time i was out at your place?

Actually it was there, but no. At that time I had two in the driveway. This one was off to the side, the other was a 25' Wellcraft that I bought for parts, and was trying to give away. That boat is long gone now and the motors will find their home in this one.

Jesse, I hear you on the expensive parts. Thats why I look into cheap used stuff! :D

The two tone thing with the car was my plan, the truck happened to be a steal for the price/mileage, so I couldn't pass it up. Saw a black and gold F350 crew cab dually the other night... Made me want it, BAD.

Actually it was there, but no. At that time I had two in the driveway. This one was off to the side, the other was a 25' Wellcraft that I bought for parts, and was trying to give away. That boat is long gone now and the motors will find their home in this one.

Jesse, I hear you on the expensive parts. Thats why I look into cheap used stuff! :D

The two tone thing with the car was my plan, the truck happened to be a steal for the price/mileage, so I couldn't pass it up. Saw a black and gold F350 crew cab dually the other night... Made me want it, BAD.

please tell me the truck is diesel :)