Body Molding question

BigmacK192

Apr 8, 2009
Chicago.
Somehow the molding on the passenger door of my GT slipped forward enough to begin to bend a corner of the molding to where it was almost at a 90 degree angle. And I've just been informed that it has now cracked off.

A new one of these bad boys will run me $140, it looks like. Anybody know if I can resto the chipped piece? Or is it better to order a new one?

I was also thinking of painting them a different color than the body (currently white). Anybody have that? How does it look?

• Sponsors (?)

To answer your question, I was able to clamp mine down well enough to glue it back, so far so good. But it had not come all of the way off.

Actually I've fantasized about taking all of the molding off of my car and just going with straight smooth metal. I'm not sure what good it does since most of the cars I park next to are higher than my car and leave dents a lot higher up on the doors. I see no way to remove the molding completely considering the way the molding blends into the bumber covers.

Yeah, it doesn't look like this piece is going back on here. It's basically ripped off and cracked at the backing. I don't think I could get it right without making it look like a total mess. I'm pissed.

Is this an easy swap if I get the new piece?