body panels?

Scrasauge

Sep 24, 2003
Reserve, La
Im considering changing out my front fenders on my car and was wondering which would be the best ones to go with? Ive noticed that presently on my car now the drivers side is apparently a thinner and flimsy feeling fender compared to the passenger one. but also i would like to change out the driver side door as well b/c ive noticed alot of rust on it on the front bottom portion of the door.

• Sponsors (?)

I have not found this to be true. I went through three different drivers side Ford tooling fenders and they all either had damage or piss poor fit.

I ended up finding original fenders, one was a NOS service piece, they literally dropped in place.

My car has dynacorn doors, I had to twist them slightly to get them right at the bottom corner, but they were a good deal.

They really are a BUNCH lighter than the OE doors, but those doors had eleven pounds of bondo filling holes and about 6 pounds of rust embedded in the structure. Seriously, I did find a set of good used doors at a swap meet but I could not justify the expense over the repop doors. In retrospect I would not change a thing....if it were a GT350 on the other hand, I would still be searching for used doors.

+1 On Ford tooling fenders. Have repros on my 1970 - fit okay but material lot thinner. On the 66 I went ford tooling good fit and thickness. Worth the money. Wish I would have changed my 70's out before I spent $5k on a paint job.

If you can salvage the original fenders you will be money ahead. The aftermarket fenders don't fit that well and the ones that I have seen will still need considerable body prep before painting. The fact that the fenders are already installed is invaluable.