Bodyshop info

myfirstii

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2002
chicago,Il.
About 3 weeks ago I got in a small accident in my 07 Gt with a jeep and i dented up my hood and messed up the front bumper. I ended up getting the cervinis concept hood and they just repaired and repainted the bumper. When i went to pick up the car on last friday i looked over it real carefully and the bumber had orange peel all over it! and part of the hood had it to. The texture kind of looked like that of a napkin. Im pretty sure thats called orange peel? I was real nice to the guy and told him I wanted it redone. A Ford dealership shouldnt let that happen. He said that its real hard to get the bumper smooth becasue of the curves (BS)! So i took it back in yesterday and Im waiting to get the call to pick it up. My question is what if I go to pick it up and its still not perfect? What can I do besides bitch and have them redo it again? Are there any other avenues that I can take? The cars pretty much brand new and I dont think that I should except any thing other than perfect. i mean Im paying these guys to do the work you think that they would do a good job....
PAt

• Sponsors (?)

My Ford dealer's body shop sucks. I insist that my body guy do any painting. My dealer has been OK with that. After all, he still gets paid by Ford for the work and isn't out anything. (I also think my dealer knows his body work isn't that great.)

orange peel looks like the surface of an orange. it is pretty common with all paint jobs when they are first done. the difference in a good body shop and a bad body shop is that a good body shop will do a good detail job before they let the car leave. every dealer i have ever dealt with has done bad work. they have such high volume they dont have time for great quality. more than likely all they need to do is wetsand and buff. ask them to do that. but beware dealers are lazy with detail work too. you might have buffer swirls really bad. it should be wetsand, rubbing compound with wool pad, glaze with a foam pad, and then a final glaze by hand. good luck.

Thanks guys for the reply. I got the call today from the body shop that it was done. Went in there and it looks worse then it did before. They didnt repaint the bumper like they said they would. He just wet sanded and buffed it and did a horrible job. Theres small scratches that are very noticeable where he wet sanded and the paint looks very dull in the spots where he buffed it out to much. And The hood still has orange peel all over it and in the one spot where he wet sanded it he went to deep and got down to the fiberglass of the hood. Im at a loss. I told him that I wanted it redone but I have no confidence that it will be done right since they have messed it up twice. Like you guys said they have alot of volume and I don't think quality is important to them. I am at a loss and don;t know what to do if it still looks like crap when I go to get it next time. This is :bs:
Patrick

you need to get your car away from the dealer and find a reputable body shop. hopefully you can get your insurance company to pay for it. it should be easy to wetsand and buff but there are shops that employ people who dont know what they are doing. sound like they use too much buffer speed with too little compound. good recipe for burning right through the paint job. i feel sorry for you. dealerships suck.