Bogging Running Rich 88 5.0HO

RSGTTim

Dec 27, 2006
Hey, names Tim im new to the forums, new to the mustang world..new to the Ford world haha (Ive also got a 68 el camino)

Anyways, ive got an 88 GT Convertible w/ a 5.0 HO, and randomly the car started bogging at low RPM's, high RPM's were a bit smoother but you can tell its bogging still. At idle I expel raw fuel and liquid soot from my exhaust, and it smokes pretty damn bad under load, not plumes but enough to overtake my sense of smell with how rich it is (Black smoke, not blue not white so im assuming its fuel). You can tell only one bank (even side, 2-4-6-8) is running rich from the excessive raw fuel on that side and barely any on the other side (H-pipe is installed). I can be floored and it will be alright enough to accelerate but not like it was before, and then once it reaches about 3000+ RPM's it smoothens out. If I slowly accelerate in say second gear, you can feel when the motor frees up and starts speeding up normally. Recently the #4 plug had been fouled so I assume a stuck open injector which would explain alot.

Any ideas guys?

I really appreciate it, having this bog is killing me, especially in gas prices. And I look half retarded cruising down the road blowing a bit of black smoke. And I already look retarded with the messed up rear passenger 1/4 panel. (Got sabotaged, someone loosened 3 lug nuts and removed one, wheel came off, Car Jumped it, then skid)

Thanks!

-Tim

• Sponsors (?)

I'm by no means an EFI tech guy, but my old '88 used to do that and it was always bad oxygen sensors. That may or may not be the problem though. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great.

attachment.php

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
OR
See http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/electronics/eec-iv_codes.html

IF your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-7208-90-equus-digital-ford-code-reader-3145.aspx – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $35.

Ive got an Auto X-Ray Im going to use to pull the codes with, its just these damn 100mph gusts of wind make me not want to go out there. Its a California MAF'ed car btw. I went out before the winds started as heavily and switched MAF's back to the original (had another 5.0 guy give me a different maf to see if it was the problem), and from what I could feel by just revving it was back to normal, but god knows for how long. Also, I think my EGR is bad because at cruising speeds my check engine light doesnt come on, but once i let off the gas, it does, telling me the EGR is probably sticking. So all in all the CEL is only on for the EGR when my foot hasnt steadily been on the gas for about 8 seconds.

So I pulled the ST Codes with the CEL (started off using an LED test light but the voltage drop couldnt be shown as a light turned off), and it came up with Key on engine off, as well as key on engine on, and we turned out with MAP Sensor fault/ out of range, and System has reached its lean limit, so it cant lean the car out anymore. Im going to go use the auto x-ray and pull/clear the codes, well see what weve got going on. Like I said these were both KOEO and KOER so well see what pops up, any suggestions so far?