Boltin' up STB?

LI98GTStang

Founding Member
Jun 22, 2000
L.I., NY
OK, finially got my Steeda STB in the mail and now am in the middle of installing. How did you guys bolt up the STB to the Strut towers? I'm thinking of getting a 3/8" tap (or so) and using a new set of tapping bolts to cinch down the STB. For those that used the this method, do you feel that the STB is sturdy enough?

The firewall bolts don't seem too bad, but it looks like a PITA to get under the fenders to get the nuts on the bolts for the Strut tower Brace. Not just for one time, but if I ever have to remove it i.e. PI heads or maybe a Throttle body, I would have to go through the process again.

• Sponsors (?)

LI98GTStang said:
OK, finially got my Steeda STB in the mail and now am in the middle of installing. How did you guys bolt up the STB to the Strut towers? I'm thinking of getting a 3/8" tap (or so) and using a new set of tapping bolts to cinch down the STB. For those that used the this method, do you feel that the STB is sturdy enough?

The firewall bolts don't seem too bad, but it looks like a PITA to get under the fenders to get the nuts on the bolts for the Strut tower Brace. Not just for one time, but if I ever have to remove it i.e. PI heads or maybe a Throttle body, I would have to go through the process again.

wait...am i missing something? my bolts for my strut tower brace are threaded right into the tower itself...there is no reason to go under the fenderwell, etc...I just screw the bolts right through the brace and into the tower???

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. The Steeda STB came with nuts and bolts and in order to use them you have to get your hands underneath to tighten up all the bolts. I was checking to see if anyone didn't use the hardware that came with the STB and instead tapped the holes so that you could just tighten them from up top. The '98s didn't come with an STB, so I am adding for extra strength.

98stangv8 said:
do the holes line up to the old ones? if so, I would just use the old bolts so you don't have to go through all the trouble...

Because it didn't come with an STB stock, no holes were there for me to use. I marked and drilled pilot holes, but before I drill them out the rest of the way, wanted to see if anyone had tapped the holes and didn't use the nuts underneath.

LI98GTStang said:
Because it didn't come with an STB stock, no holes were there for me to use. I marked and drilled pilot holes, but before I drill them out the rest of the way, wanted to see if anyone had tapped the holes and didn't use the nuts underneath.

hmmm...my 97 was a v6 and didn't have a stb..but the holes were still there...

I used the bolts and nuts on mine. Felt that it would be stronger, IMO.
If your car is lowered, you may have to remove the tires to get underneath. I did it while my car was stock height and it was a little tight. I can't imagine it being any better while lowered.
Be careful when you remove the cowl in front of the windshield. It'll crack if not careful. ON BOTH SIDES. :bang:

**Update. STB Installed.

Actually went on with very little problems. The very little problem was that I dropped a nut when I was tightening down the STB against the firewall. The is very little space on the drivers side in the cowl area to hold get the nut on the bolt.

I used nuts and bolts and also went the route of cutting out a square on the firewall plastic plate since I have a dremmel instead of snipping off larger pieces.

Thanks to all that responded. I read it all and used pieces and responses from all to come up what worked for me.

Pics attached....

523851_40_full.jpg

523851_41_full.jpg