Boosting a 96-98 Cobra with 03/04 parts.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
I am looking at this and it seems its a cheaper route and wonder what I am missing.
I can get the 03/04 heads complete and ready to drop in for $875 and the M112/blower plenum/t-body/elbow/heat exchanger for $1000 and the coolant pump is $100 and another $230 for the coolant box.

So thats $2205. Am I missing some expensive needed parts here?

A nice intercooled centri fit is $4500-$5100 and still needs injectors and pumps plus a tune.
A KB kit is over $5000 but has no intercooler.

It seems with the conversion it would basically be an aluminator. So down the road you could do new pistons/rods and swap the Eaton for a Whipple and make well over 700 rwhp and really onlybe in the blower kit around $5000 (not including the new forged parts or fuel mods) which I bet is waymore then the $5100 Vortech or $4700 Procharger kit can do but have way nicer driving charecteristics. :shrug:

So am I missing something important in the 03/04 parts being just slaped into a 96-98?

• Sponsors (?)

I am looking at this and it seems its a cheaper route and wonder what I am missing.
I can get the 03/04 heads complete and ready to drop in for $875 and the M112/blower plenum/t-body/elbow/heat exchanger for $1000 and the coolant pump is $100 and another $230 for the coolant box.

A nice intercooled centri fit is $4500-$5100 and still needs injectors and pumps plus a tune.

It seems with the conversion it would basically be an aluminator. So down the road you could do new pistons/rods and swap the Eaton for a Whipple and make well over 700 rwhp and really onlybe in the blower kit around $5000 (not including the new forged parts or fuel mods) which I bet is waymore then the $5100 Vortech or $4700 Procharger kit can do but have way nicer driving charecteristics. :shrug:

So am I missing something important in the 03/04 parts being just slaped into a 96-98?

im thinkin the timing cover with assorted pulleys / idlers and a full fuel system.

OK, I realize fuel parts. All kits will need injectors and pumps.
Also, as I said, the blower will come with the t-body, inlet tube etc.
So If I had the blower, heads, blower plenum, inlet, t-body, MAF, injectors, fuel pumps, rails, heat exchanger, heat exchanger water pump the you are saying I would still need the timing cover, new timing chains, timing chain guides?

Is there anything else?

I dont want a centri, I like a positive displacment blower 100x more then "Wait till it spools up and really hits!" I am addicted to the sound of a twin screw and the fact that from idle the little 4.6 frrls like its packing double its cubic inches. :nice:

Your not missing anything that I can see. Timing chains an guides can likely be had brand new for 250 or so (don't quote me on that, just guessing) With the alum block (tek sid at that) and the lighter weight of the aero's, that thing will scream. You will have to think/do a hood of some sort. I don't think (it might) it will clear the stock hood.

I'm all for the factory fit and finish of the Eaton set up as much as the next guy, but unless you're buying this set up complete, this thing is going to end up nickel and diming you to death. Just fair warning.

I'm not sure where you got the $5,000 price tag for the KB, because the '96-'98 Cobra kit is advertised at $3799 from what I can see. That's with the 2.1L...which seems to be your only option. I warn you though...the new KB compressors are QUIET!!! Too quiet IMO. I like the scream of the old Opcon Autorotors personally. But, what can you do?

In any case, if PD blower power is what you're after, the KB will probably be your most cost effective. Even without an intercooler, it'll still be cheaper to run high octane fuel, or water/methanol with the set up.

I'm all for the factory fit and finish of the Eaton set up as much as the next guy, but unless you're buying this set up complete, this thing is going to end up nickel and diming you to death. Just fair warning.

I'm not sure where you got the $5,000 price tag for the KB, because the '96-'98 Cobra kit is advertised at $3799 from what I can see. That's with the 2.1L...which seems to be your only option. I warn you though...the new KB compressors are QUIET!!! Too quiet IMO. I like the scream of the old Opcon Autorotors personally. But, what can you do?

In any case, if PD blower power is what you're after, the KB will probably be your most cost effective. Even without an intercooler, it'll still be cheaper to run high octane fuel, or water/methanol with the set up.
No.

No, huh.....we'll see. I'll await your upcoming "Well, looks like I got in over my head....again" thread from you in the future. ;)
Never had one of them threads. And it was a question about possibilities. Do I currently own a Cobra? No. Will I soon? Prolly not cause with my father killing three people this weekend is gonna limit how much I walk away with this week. :notnice:

Lower intake $400, intercooler $350-400, timing cover $250-400, intercooler adapter, pulley bridge, idler pulley bracket, alternator, balancer, supercharger crank pulley, hardware, intercooler lines, intercooler reservoir, MAF, injectors, rails, upper and lower alternator brackets.

If you paid $1000 for the blower, plenum, TB, elbow and HE then you were taken as you can get those parts for about $500 tops for a stock eaton. I bought and sold partial kits and spent about $2600 for everything but typical is closer to $3200 (not counting heads since I already had them on the car).

Bill

Well things have changed since then. On LVC I have been helping a guy design (he did everything, I just gave ideas for stuff that he ran with) a lower plenum that would allow a M112 to bolt to the "B" heads. Its going to be made tomorrow in plastic for a test fit. As long as it bolts up then he will have some made in aluminum. So for the cost of a used Eaton ($100-$200), the plenum ($100ish), injectors, pump, Powerstroke 8 rib pullies ($100 used) and a belt I should be in buisiness for $600-$700. :nice:
It wont beintercooled because it was just getting too expensive to make it work and still sit under the Mark VIIIs stock hood . We decided to make a port in the front and back to hold a meth nozzel. It would spray directly under the blower into the whole plenum cavity and since its spraying front and back it should be very very effective.
Plus when funds allow that means a KB or Whipple could be slapped on easy enough. I will be fine with 370-400 RWHP though and the Eaton at 8-9 psi and chemical intercooled should work just fine at that power level.

Allot of pieces and work? Pullies are cheap and easy to swap, slapping on a plenum is easy, injectors are easy..... I must have missed something. being able to put a blower on my car for under $1000 sounds like a great deal to me. :shrug: For a couple hundred more (and the route I would go) is to find a used stage 4 or 5 ported eaton for $350-$400 and slap it on.
It would have the stock Cobra pully and on a ported Eaton with my engine size and a free flowing exhaust it should run about 8 psi and thats safe on the stock 9.5:1 compression ratio.
Down the road I could get some forged pistons, some Cobra rods and then crank the boost up to 13-14psi and have close to 500 rwhp. Do a KB and step it up to 600 rwhp. Anything beyond that and I think I would need a forged crank too but I doubt I will push it much past the stock boost levels. :shrug:

Unless i've forgotten, B heads are like 52cc and 03 cobra's are 51cc? Wouldn't change much, but compression may bump up a smidgen.
Yeah, the combustion chamber is a hair larger on the B head but I am not sure exactly how much. Since the intercooler/heat exchanger wont be there that is less restriction causing the boost pressure to be a a tad higher going into the chamber. The exhaust (after I am done) will be freer flowing then the Cobras and coupled with the larger combustion chamber and dual intake ports I believe at the same RPM the boost "seen" will be about 1 psi below what a stock 03/04 Cobra sees. :shrug:
Thats also assuming the Power Stroke crank pully is the same size as a Cobras, thats still stuff I need to find out. He is trying to keep the alt in its stock location too so as of now we are assuming the snout needs to be shortened on the Eaton but are trying to avoid that. :shrug:
I think by Summer next year it should all be figured out.

This is where he is at now:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php