Boosting a 96-98 Cobra with 03/04 parts.

You are better off putting a Vortec on your 96-98 and calling it a day. Find a low mileage stock 96-98 with exhaust and put a V2SQ on it. Mine made 408RWHP & 366RWTQ. Call that low...it ran 12.53@114-116MPH launching at idle on Nitto's. It ran the 1/8 in 8.0-8.1 seconds. 60 fts were only 1.888-2.1's and I'd still run consistent 12.50's-12.70's being easy on the car. That was an 11 second car all day long. Guys with slicks and launching at 3-5K RPM's were running 11.50's-11.70's at 111-113MPH that same day. I just shook my head. I have more power, but was not willing to beat on the car too hard and was running slower.

Sometimes trying to get by the cheaper way ends up being more expensive anyways bro. Just buy the kit and be done with it. You are not done at 400RWHP either. Meth and 14psi...my tuners letting guys leave the shop with 500RWHP on pump gas and it's safe on stock internals. Don't let what you read on the internet about need forged this and forged that in the 96-98 Cobra block. It's a tough block...pistons are good, no great, but good. IT'S ALL IN THE TUNE AND FUEL!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

You are better off putting a Vortec on your 96-98 and calling it a day. Find a low mileage stock 96-98 with exhaust and put a V2SQ on it. Mine made 408RWHP & 366RWTQ. Call that low...it ran 12.53@114-116MPH launching at idle on Nitto's. It ran the 1/8 in 8.0-8.1 seconds. 60 fts were only 1.888-2.1's and I'd still run consistent 12.50's-12.70's being easy on the car. That was an 11 second car all day long. Guys with slicks and launching at 3-5K RPM's were running 11.50's-11.70's at 111-113MPH that same day. I just shook my head. I have more power, but was not willing to beat on the car too hard and was running slower.

Sometimes trying to get by the cheaper way ends up being more expensive anyways bro. Just buy the kit and be done with it. You are not done at 400RWHP either. Meth and 14psi...my tuners letting guys leave the shop with 500RWHP on pump gas and it's safe on stock internals. Don't let what you read on the internet about need forged this and forged that in the 96-98 Cobra block. It's a tough block...pistons are good, no great, but good. IT'S ALL IN THE TUNE AND FUEL!!!!!!!

Ah yeah, no. We have had this discussion before... several times. You know why I want a positive displacement blower. You even PMd me when you got you red Cobra and said now you see why a positive displacement blower is so much nicer. :rlaugh: Not looking for big numbers, just 50% more then it has now. Also want the engine to have more power down low and thats where an Eaton feels great. :nice:
Besides $3600 for a non-intercooled Vortech (no injectors) vs around $1000 for a meth Eaton setup (including injectors)... its just an excercise in cheap power. :shrug:
I assume you are going to be moving the blower back so you can run it off of the balancer pulley? How are you going to mount the alternator?

Bill

The thought right now is to have a snout made with a shorter shaft. Not set in stone but prolly whats gonna happen. Machine shop has one now and is doing measurements to see what needs to be done and how.
As for the alt, the plenum should have it high enough and offset enough to leave the alt where it is. Again, not sure and have to wait till mock up. Thats why I say 9 more months because there is allot of little stuff to figure out. :shrug:

The thought right now is to have a snout made with a shorter shaft. Not set in stone but prolly whats gonna happen. Machine shop has one now and is doing measurements to see what needs to be done and how.
As for the alt, the plenum should have it high enough and offset enough to leave the alt where it is. Again, not sure and have to wait till mock up. Thats why I say 9 more months because there is allot of little stuff to figure out. :shrug:

Just FYI but the lightning and some 5.4 truck engines use 8 rib balancers as well.

Thanks! Thats the kind of info I need! Both of us had overlooked that before. We were thinkingPower Stroke cause they are so redily available from a junk yard. Lightnings not so much but I forgot that some 5.4s also had them. The 01 F-150 we had had one I believe. Not sure about the 97 sitting in the car port now, gonna go check!

Not that you've chosen to listen to any sound advice thus far, but I would advise against shortening the blower snout and running off of the stock balancer pulley…that is of course unless you haven't got a problem seeing only about 5psi out of the set up? Unless you jump up to a custom 7 1/2-8.0" balancer, you're not going to be able to spin that MP112 anywhere near fast enough to generate the needed airflow for decent power gains.

This is the exactly reason that the Cobra and Lightning have independent drive pulley systems established for the blower. You need a big lower pulley to spin the unit up to speed…..it isn’t like an M90, or Twin Screw with high internal compression ratios.

As I said Bean, I am only trying to help the guy and offer suggestions. He has done all the design work thus far. I have suggested many times to use the CObra/Lightning setup but he wants to try it the other way. Just cause he is doing it that way dont mean I cant do it a different way. If the snout lines up with the dual pully then I would just leave it alone. :shrug:

I do think thats why he was saying to use the Power Stroke crank pully cause its larger and would spin the blower at the same speed. Now I am not sure about that, just a thought.

Hey guys,

I am the "other" guy in question here. I never mentioned anything about powerstroke pulleys, other than using a power stroke alternator on a custom bracket.

My MarkVIII has been swapped to 8-rib pulleys thanks to my 99 V-10 F250. and will have to do the math as far what needs to be done to run 8-9 psi with a stock crank pulley,and smaller s/c pulley.

Other than that, I am waiting on the few different machine shops to get back to me on pricing.

Mike

There he is! Thats the smart dude that thought it all up and is getting it to work.
My bad about the powerstroke, I know it was being said but neglected to reserch it back enough. You all can kill me latter. I also mispoke on the price point, really no one knows what it will cost and really a chunk of aluminum is more then $100 to do this. But 94m5 is the man to ask, he did everything, as I said I just tossed out ideas and watched his progress.
94m5, hope I didnt step on any toes posting this. I figured if there was enough interest then maybe you could make some coin out of all this. :shrug: :nice: