Bored on a Saturday...gutting the big "Ford" intake?

notched86

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Ruckersville, VA
Took off my intake today (not the manifold, the intake that connects to the TB) and I found the inside of the big Ford box thing is really small. Would it be benificial to dremel out this thing? Or would I just lose torque by doing this? I also found this weird ass metal wire that spirals around the inside of the elbow that connects to the TB. Should I remove this or leave it in there? Thanks for the help!

BTW, it's an '89 2.3 Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is the manifold upper divided into 4 individual runners and you hog out the center dividing section you will lose your low end torque, reason: at low RPMs you will flood your engine with too much air, just the kind of airflow your motor would love at high RPMs. This is the reasoning for both dual and single plane intakes in the carbeurated world. For street cars a compromise must be made: what is best for all RPM levels to produce power across the RPM band (low end torque then high end horsepower). You could increase flow substantially by porting and polishing your upper and lower. Look on ebay under 2.3 intake and you might find (if the auction is still on) a guy selling ported, polished and powdercoated intakes, look at his pics they'll give you good ideas for making your intake flow better!

freakintiger said:
If it is the manifold upper divided into 4 individual runners and you hog out the center dividing section you will lose your low end torque, reason: at low RPMs you will flood your engine with too much air, just the kind of airflow your motor would love at high RPMs.
:scratch:

Actually the reason is increasing the volume typically reduces air velocity, which can cost torque, but makes a larger volume available at high RPM's. However, this piece isn't the bottleneck in the system (mostly the head is). So most people report little or no low end torque loss.

No you guys don't understand, I'm not talkin about the intake MANIFOLD, where it says 2.3 EFI on it, I'm talking about that big oval plastic thing that says "Ford" on it, in between the air filter box and the throttle body.

notched86 said:
No you guys don't understand, I'm not talkin about the intake MANIFOLD, where it says 2.3 EFI on it, I'm talking about that big oval plastic thing that says "Ford" on it, in between the air filter box and the throttle body.

:lol: sorry I couldn't help but :rlaugh:

That pice in the center is probly 1 1/2 I guess. Some people replace it with pvc and others will gut that pice and put a K& N on the MAF. Heres a link to help ya out some.

http://jman.stangnet.com/coldair.htm