bored with the 408.....next idea!

78pinto

Mar 1, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I have the 408 running pretty good now.......but......it's not really where my heart is. This winters' (sorry to say that word so soon) project will likely be a 302 roller motor , still E.F.I. with a single turbo, a 60mm hybred Holset or a Garrett 60-1 i have not decided yet. It will have a single 3 1/2 inch exhaust with custom made headers (i'm a glutton for punishment) The power will be about the same as the 408....but i LOVE the sound of a turbo spooling, it will be easier to keep the coolant temp down and alot more streetable than the 408 is (read better on fuel) Anyone done this on their II?

• Sponsors (?)

I started feeling dizzy when you mentioned turbo, custom headers and II in the same post. I'M GLAD YOU'RE MAKING THEM AND NOT ME!! haha

Seriously though, why not just build a low compression 427 351W with some 0-ringed heads, and run the hair dryer (or two) on it? Don't forget the intercooler, either.
"7 Liter Turbo" emblems would look nice on a Pinto.
The biggest factor in fuel mileage(as far as the engine is concerned) is the camshaft grind. Even a huge motor with a forced induction camshaft will be more efficient than the same motor with a racing N/A cam.

sounds like a fun build eh?! :bang: I'm having cooling issues now with it the way it is, let alone with more cubes AND a turbo (i would need a large turbo for that, like a T76 or a T88) and that would be way more power than i can even use......safely anyhow! :D 11.49 and i need a cage and 5 point harness....not really good for cruising with the family :nonono:

78pinto said:
i shudder when i think of the money i have into it, and what i'll get for it when i sell it (feel my pain Blue Thunder?!)

Ugh, yeah. I'm going to lose at least half what I have invested in my motor, and it's only got a few thousand street miles on it.
So far, looks like my friend might buy it for his '70 Maverick with a top-loader 4 speed and 3.55 8" posi setup. He's currently running my first 302(I built that thing in 89!) in his car, I guess he's the hand-me-down performance guy.
Damn that Maverick looks awesome, though, brand new dark burgundy with a factory grabber hood. That car deserves some more power.