Borg Warner T-5 Vs Tremec T-5 Gear Ratios

Joey5.0

Feb 13, 2006
Usa
Are the gear ratios the same? I Just put a D&D rebuilt Tremec T-5 In my 90 Gt. and i am not happy with the gear ratios at all. With The Old Borg Warner i was able to go 67Mph At 6k Rpm in Second gear, 100 In third, and about 125 in fourth with the stock gears. Now with the new Tremec, i can only go sixty in second, 90 in third and like 115 in fourth and im not to happy about that. I took the speedo gear of the borg warner, and put it on the tremec since the tremec didnt have one, could this be throwing the speedo off?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure your speedometer calibration isn't off? Since 4th gear is 1:1 on any T5, that would be the most likely source of the problem. In 4th the same RPMs would make the same road speed on any T5. The gear on the drive gear on the output shaft may not be correct one to use with the driven gear on the VSS sensor. See http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/t5speedo.asp for help or call D&D and ask them.

Look at the stamped alumunum tag on the back of the transmission. Then match it to one of the numbers on the chart.

attachment.php

Where is the Vss Censor and what does it do? I remeber on the new Tremec, that it did not have this on it

View attachment 446750

So i have i plug in just dangeling from my car. ill try and find the part number on the tremec and see if the ratios are the same as the Borg Warner.

Just called D$D and i have the wrong speedo gear apparently. I put the stock Borg Warner Censor, on the Tremec. Im supposed to have a 18 tooth yellow censor.

This should set everything straight cause the ratios between the trannys are the same.

Borg Warner 3.35/1.99/1.33/1.00/0.675

Tremec 3.35/1.99/1.34/1.1/.068

The VSS sensor is for the cruse control & to help keep the engine from stalling when you slow to a stop. It connects to the speedo cable and the speedo driven gear mounts on it.

sc46.jpg

The item shown in your picture is the netural safety switch. If it is missing or isn't working, you will get a code 67 and not be able to dump the engine running codes or do any of the engine runnning diagnostics.

There is no need to check any further about the gear ratios. All T5's use a 1:1 fourth gear. That means there should be no difference in the road speed/RPM between the two transmissions in forth gear unless the speedo gears are wrong. There is a drive gear on the transmission output shaft and a driven gear on the VSS sensor or speedo cable mount. If either one of those gears is incorrect, your speedo readings will be off. See the link in my previous post to Hanlon's website & the speedo calibration utlity.