Borgeson Pump install with stock PS HELP!

65coupe408w

Mar 26, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just received my borgeson pump that I will be using with my stock power steering setup. This looks like a really nice piece! The only issue I am seeing is on my Ford pump there was a fitting sticking out that my high pressure line threaded onto with a nut.

On the borgeson piece it looks there should be an additional fitting that has to be added in order to use the factory PS lines. :shrug: I am not sure if anyone has run into this issue, but any adivce would be great!

I will snap a picture tonight when I get home. I really want to get my fasbtack on the road already!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Take your factory lines to an autoparts store and have them cut them to length and put the correct fitting for the borgeson box on the other end so you keep the end you need to thread onto the factory p/s pump. the other line is the return line and it just hooks on the pump with a hose clamp, so it will only need the borgeson fitting on one end and nothing on the other. they should do it for really cheap (the price of the 2 new fitting you need).

Sounds to me like something is missing from the pump. You shouldn't need to have custom work done to mount a pump kit. Call Borgeson.

6AN_to_inverted_flare.JPG

Attachments

• 6AN_to_inverted_flare.JPG
    6AN_to_inverted_flare.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 120
This is how mine looks....

pump.jpg

pump2.jpg

hose.jpg

Ill give borgeson a call... there was nothing in the box other than the pump, bracket, and mounting hardware...

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 153
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 124
  • hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 149
I just got off the phone with Borgeson.

It appears that although you can buy the pump seperatley it is still designed for their steering box. This was not made that clear from everything I read.

However you can order a Pressure valve shim kit $18 + $9 shipping (pt#899001) and NAPA fitting $14 (pt#WH1563) which will allow you to connect up to your factory system.

Hopefully this will help anyone that decides to do this conversion in the future. Borgeson were very helpful, I just wish I would have known this when oredering everything. I will post pictures and results once i receive everything.

OK so I spent this weekend re-valving the pump and getting it mounted up. I wont make this more long winded than needed. Hopefully the pictures explain everything.

I removed the large nut on the back to access the pressure valve:
DSC_0350.jpg

Here you can see the pressure valve removed:
DSC_0351.jpg

Then you have to place the valve in the provided sleeve from borgeson. This protects the valve from any damage whilst you work on it.
DSC_0353.jpg

You have to undo the 7/16 nut on top of the valve, this is the part that you will add shims to, this lowers the pressure of the pump
DSC_0354.jpg

Then add 3 shims to lower the pressure to 1000psi
DSC_0355.jpg

Then put the fitting back together:
DSC_0357.jpg

Install pressure valve back in pump, it just drops in:
DSC_0358.jpg

Finished product: note the napa fitting connecting the line to the pump:
DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg