Bosch Plugs

I am putting a new Bosch ignition in my Mustang this weekend ( Cap & Rotor, Ignition Wires, Coil Wire, Spark Plugs ). I was looking for some recommendations on which spark plugs. I know it won't make too much difference in responsiveness, but every bit helps. Should I go with the standard Bosch Platinum plugs or the 2 prong or the 4 prong plugs? The 4 prong plugs are considerably more expensive (about $10 each in Canadian $$$) but if they increase performance at all then I am willing to pay that. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

JamesBaumann said:
I am putting a new Bosch ignition in my Mustang this weekend ( Cap & Rotor, Ignition Wires, Coil Wire, Spark Plugs ). I was looking for some recommendations on which spark plugs. I know it won't make too much difference in responsiveness, but every bit helps. Should I go with the standard Bosch Platinum plugs or the 2 prong or the 4 prong plugs? The 4 prong plugs are considerably more expensive (about $10 each in Canadian $$$) but if they increase performance at all then I am willing to pay that. Any help would be appreciated.
From what i've heard from when i was doing a tune-up, id stick with the motorcraft ones. bosch are sposed to be crap, well thats just what i've heard

the advantage of platinums is that the last longer, and burn hotter (and cleaner) For a turbo motor they burn to hot and you want to run standard copper plugs. But for N/A just run whatever you want. My car has had bosch platinums in it since i got it and it runs just fine. I cant vouch for the +2 or +4's though. i would just get standards.

Dr.

For an N/A car you want copper plugs. Ideally you want the stock motorcraft/autolite plugs. These are the plugs the ignition was designed around and they work best.

Platnium plugs were only developed for long time intervals between replacement. That's why cars like caddys and lincolns came out with them in their cars so they can boast about a 100K mile tune up (trust me, it's all over the owners literature from my '93 Lincoln) There is no other benefit of platnium. It will not make more power.

The 2 and 4 prong plugs are even more of a waste of money. Electricity takes the path of least resisitance. That means it will only use ONE strap every time it fires...usually the same one. So the other straps will just sit there and shield the air/fuel mixture from the spark.

When you get into Boosted or Nitrous cars, then you can look into expensive iridium plugs.

actually with other factors the same, an upgraded ignition won't do a damn thing for power.... And you are just using tune up parts, Aftermarket ignitions, are like, ignition controllers (MSD 6A Etc.) Distributors, Coils, etc....

JamesBaumann said:
I am N/A, and what do you mean by an 'aftermarket ignition'? I was kind of under the impression that this was an aftermarket ignition.

You just swapped to better tune up parts. You are still running stock ignition controller and coil which puts out the juice.

Stick with copper motorcraft/autolite plugs. They really are the best to use

Mustang5L5 said:
You just swapped to better tune up parts. You are still running stock ignition controller and coil which puts out the juice.

Stick with copper motorcraft/autolite plugs. They really are the best to use

So, you are telling me that in order to get any type of power or responsiveness boost from my ignition, I would need to change my ignition controller and my coil?

Mustang5L5 said:
Hell, i still run factory ignition on my 5.0

And according to an article/website I found a while back so does the guy with the merkur that holds landspeed records. They are really good ignitions and unless you need something like a rev limiter or two step Ive heard its best to keep it stock.

and yes bosch does suck. i tried the +4s when they first came out and both my car and my friends car (93 MR2) ran like crap with em. we both switched back after only a few days. stick with the autolites or motorcraft (plus theyre cheaper anyway!) and a stock ignition... save your money for something that will make a difference.