Both front calipers are locked up

sweet88gt

Jun 25, 2005
Venice FL
So, I was driving back to my house when I started to feel alot of strain on the motor and I was slowing down for no reason. I give it more gas and realize there is a problem and pull over to find smoke coming from both front calipers. They are locked up and locked up good. I have noticed recently that the car is hard to push but figured I was getting soft and never gave it too much thought. I have 99 front Cobra calipers with 95 spindles and 13" stock rotors. I have dicount auto pads and 95 front brake hoses (rubber). I also have 95 brake booster and 95 master cylinder with a 3 to 2 port conversion. I know these parts are not ideal with stock drum brakes but it has not been an issue before yesterday. Long story short where should I start to look for the problem???? First thought was the stock porpotional vavle?? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would maybe start at the calipers and see if opening the bleed port allows the calipers to let off. Work back towards the MC until they let go. Does sound like a proprtioning valve issue though. I have had calipers lock up but not both at the same time. Were the caliper new when you put them on?

No, the calipers were taken off of the vehicle in working conition to be replaced with painted 03 calipers. They sat in my garage for about six months and have been in use for approx 3 months or about 1,000 miles. The car doesnt get much use. I have been putting off the rear conversion and have a 93 Cobra master cylinder I plan on using but need to figure this out first.

I haven't seen this happen to two calipers at once, but, here is something else to check.

On cars with old brake hoses, sometimes the interior liner will separate from the outer cover. This allows brake fluid to seep between the liner and outer cover. This makes a fluid bubble in the hose that acts as a one way check valve. It traps fluid in the caliper and does not allow it to return to the master cylinder. Check the brake hoses for deterioration and buldges. Replace any hoses that show signs of damage or swelling.

The front brake hoses are about 1 yr old. I did the 5 lug conversion awhile back but the hoses are fairly new. The 13" front caliper and brake package is new to me for about 3 months. I havent had a chance to dig into it but I needed a place to start when I can.