Bottom end finally went, need your help with upgrades

JasonMonette

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2002
Kalamazoo MI
Well my bottom end just went out on me, so now it the perfect time to upgrade. I want to use my top end that I have right now, you can check my sig for what I have had done so far. I want a twin turbo car that has about 600-650 at the rear wheels. What block should I get to accomplish this. I was thinking a 347 Dart block, Eagle forged crank, Eagle h-beam rods, Diamond racing forged low compression pistons with TFS valve releifs. Do you think that is a good choice? If so, where can I get a good quality block from?

Here is what I want to do with the rest of the car, so let me know if I am headed in the right direction. And let me know if you have any experience with anyone in Michigan or close that will do this kind of work.

Upgrade the suspension: Install Maximum Motorsports Road & Track in a box, good choice? I want a street car, not a track car.

Upgrade the cooling system: Ford Racing Radiator, Mark VIII electric fan, 180 balanced stat, high flow water pump, 130 amp alternator, new hoses.

Upgrade the braking system: I would like to go discs all the way around, not sure what brakes I want as of yet, so any suggestions would be great. I think i am torn between the baer setup and the Ford MK2000, any suggestions

Get the new block, add my top end, upgrade the fuel system and add twin turbos.

Let me know if you have any ideas or info on what you would do next Or if I am missing something.

Thanks

Jason

• Sponsors (?)

I think it sounds good. If I were you, I would maybe upgrade to a TFS R intake and bigger TB. Maybe some portwork on the heads too. The added airflow would help with those added cubes. And maybe do some kind of 3 inch exhaust. I'm a big fan of Griggs over MM, but MM would work great.

Damn, I'm jealous!
-Dave

Dart block is about the best choice out there for a high hp motor. 331/347 or something along those lines. I would agree on considering a bigger intake and a cam swap for a custom turbo grind. The heads would benefit from some port work too. Just an idea, if you force it in there though, it's gonna make good power regardless. As far as the block, summit sells them for $2300 with the 8.2 deck, you can find it cheaper maybe and get summit to price match. Good luck.
mike.

Dave and Mike,

I will look into Griggs, never heard of them. This will be my first time swapping an engine if I do it my self. Kinda scarey. Have you guys done this before? If so, could you give me some tips, what tools will I need, etc. Thanks

Jason

I know you want to do the turbo, but after the rebuild, how close to actually adding the turbo would you be? Even a low compression 347 would make a lot of power no doubt, it wouldn't be near as good as a 10:1 compression 347.

I tell you it will cost you a lot of money no matter which way you go. I bought a scat 331 setup with all the extra goodies. I spent 3000 on everything so far. The block work is going to cost another 2grand on top of that. That is not including all the misc stuff that I need. So that is why I am trying to sell my 331 stroker kit now. you can click on my link to see all the stuff that it has.