Bought 2016 Mustang Gt Premium

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
I finally decided to let go of my 1993 Mustang GT (see my signature for mods) and sold it to my nephew. At least the car is still in the family.

I originally wanted a GT350 but the few that are left available are not the color I wanted.

So I went ahead and got myself a 2016 Mustang GT.

Now begins a new learning experience.

During the test drive I noticed that the clutch engages when the clutch pedal is practically all the way up. Much too high from what I am used to.

Is there a way of changing this?
and
What can I do in terms of engine modifications while NOT upsetting the warranty?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the new car!

As far the engagement point, my PP didn't have a high engagement point, but did take some getting used to. A lot of people are removing the clutch helper spring and swear it is way better. You might want to start with that. You can search for that mod. It is just popping out a spring that can be put back if you don't like it.

As far as voiding your warranty, for anything major, a tune can violate it. That really sucks because a tune can free up 30 or so horses on its own. A catback will only net you 1-3 HP gains. Headers on the other hand, will help free up some power. I've seen two basic types of intakes, one that requires a tune and one that doesn't. For big non-voiding power, you can have a dealer install a Roush blower putting you in the 630-670 realm. I assume that if the Ford dealer is documenting the tune, it will not violate the warranty. Obviously suspension mods are a good place to start.

There are a ton of big HP cars out there that are very reliable daily drivers.

Removing the clutch spring made a huge difference... I yanked it out the second I got home from the dealer. Mine broke on the way out, but I was being less than careful when I pulled it. Don't care tho... I had no intention of reinstalling it ever. I can actually feel the clutch now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a follow up....

Since the time I posted this message, the modified 93 GT that I sold to my nephew- I bought it back. I did not like the way he was treating it.
So my daughter just got her license and so I gave 93 GT to her. Bad move! I did not like the way her guy friends were sucking up to her for a ride- 16 year old cutie in a 93 supercharged GT that's louder than both God & Satan with the mods listed in my sig. The final straw was when I saw her boyfriend driving it! NOOOOOO!!!

So the circle is now complete... the 2016 GT is mine again and I gave my daughter my daily driver Nissan Altima Coup SR and my nephew bought himself a new/used Nissan 350Z (nice car). I raced him with both the 2016 GT and my 93 GT... He's now obsessed in modifying it after I put the whoop ass on him with both cars in a 1/2+ mile drag race. He did beat me on gas mileage though! hehehe

Because of the warranty, I am going to do my best in refraining from modifying my 2016 GT. I did remove the clutch spring, however. The clutch engaging with the pedal practically all the way up is unacceptable. The Tremec feels a little more like a Tremec, now. LOL.

Thanks

Just a follow up....

Since the time I posted this message, the modified 93 GT that I sold to my nephew- I bought it back. I did not like the way he was treating it.
So my daughter just got her license and so I gave 93 GT to her. Bad move! I did not like the way her guy friends were sucking up to her for a ride- 16 year old cutie in a 93 supercharged GT that's louder than both God & Satan with the mods listed in my sig. The final straw was when I saw her boyfriend driving it! NOOOOOO!!!

So the circle is now complete... the 2016 GT is mine again and I gave my daughter my daily driver Nissan Altima Coup SR and my nephew bought himself a new/used Nissan 350Z (nice car). I raced him with both the 2016 GT and my 93 GT... He's now obsessed in modifying it after I put the whoop ass on him with both cars in a 1/2+ mile drag race. He did beat me on gas mileage though! hehehe

Because of the warranty, I am going to do my best in refraining from modifying my 2016 GT. I did remove the clutch spring, however. The clutch engaging with the pedal practically all the way up is unacceptable. The Tremec feels a little more like a Tremec, now. LOL.

Thanks
I'm sorry, and no offense, but first you sold it to your nephew and then bought it back because you didn't like how he treated it? Well it is his car. It isn't for you to like how he treats it. Then you give it to your daughter and get mad because her BF is driving it? I mean, if he treats her well and if they care about each other and knowing what kind of jerks there are out there, then don't you think you're being a bit unreasonable? I mean, its not like you caught him doing donuts in a parking lot with his buddies or something. If you were a teenager and your gf's dad gave her a cool Mustang, you would wanna drive it too. So how about either laying off the kids for being kids or sell it to a stranger and let them take it so you never have to see it again...out of sight out of mind.

As far as the clutch spring, it simply takes some getting used to. I was gonna take mine out but then I thought about if it might make the clutch pedal stiffer or if it might not fully return to position and cause some damage over time. Ford put the spring there for a reason. If anything, you can get a Steeda spring which is not as stiff as the stock one. But I would think that a little more seat time might solve your issues with it.

Oh, and congrats on the new GT!! You're gonna love it!!