Bought a 96 GT w/blown engine, what should I replace it with?

94YellowStang

Nov 12, 2004
Hayden, AL
I have a 96 GT w/248a pacakge, car has a blown engine and needs replaced.
I have $2000 to spend on a enigne and was thinking of doing a PI swap.. My car has the updated crossover tube that I can swap over to the PI motor and that should be all I need for that swap. I can get a 97 cobra 4v motor for $2000 but there will be more work involved in that swap that im unsure of. Any help on what would be the best route to take on a $2000 budget.

Thanks
Keith

• Sponsors (?)

if you're going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, might as well make it worthwhile and go with the 4v

not sure what you mean by doing a pi swap though since the engine is "blown":shrug:

id throw an 01+ 2v in there. cheap and easy to find w/ low miles. i see them for under a grand all the time, and when setting a budget of 2 grand and buying a base thats already close to that.. i wouldnt do it, cause u just never know.

I have a $2000 budget, I'm not sure if the heads are any good or not. Engine runs but has majonor problems. Water pump is leaking coolant out the weap hole, has blown headgaskets( oil is milky) oil and coolant are coming out the tailpipes. I'm sure the whole thing is junk besides the new updated intake that was put on by presvious owner.

I have a 98 cobra so if I put a PI engine in this car I'll still have a 4v lol. Looks like a PI Engine would work best and my exhaust has oil and coolant all in it so my plan is to change all the exhaust parts. Is there a way to clean o2 sensor or do I need to replace all 4 due to oil/coolant being on them.

Well, given that you already had a 4.6L in there, id say go with another one for computer reasons. You could always try and go the 5.0L route. They will swap in there no problem and a helluva lot cheaper to modify. But for $2k, you are probably better off trying to find a 99+ Mustang 4.6. If thats even possible where you live. if it were my car, id go with a 5.0L. 4.6L's are super expensive to upgrade in comparison.

Couldn't the problem described be just the head gaskets? If it is just swap them out, sell the car, and upgrade the cobra!!!

What about explorer engines? What years are a direct swap for the Mustang? I am sure you could find a junkyard motor for cheap?

Have the pistons rings replaced.....about 200 for new stock parts.....you can buy brand new PI heads for like 600-700 or used for 2-300.....get some good cams and springs....about 7-800 and 150 for head stud kit....

total...
$200.00 new piston rings
$700.00 new PI heads
$150.00 head kit
$550.00 cams
$160.00 springs

$1760.00 total

If you shop around you could get some better deals.......but have a stout car for 2000.00 dollars!

"ED"

Also for under 200 you can get new timing chains, tensioners, and guides and have a refreshed motor.......If you do the work yourself you can save alot of doe..............that way you can explore other options if you do it yourself...!!!

Instead of new heads and cams...you can use that money to buy a new water pump and oil pump and have a complete rebuild and extra cash for a tune!

"ED"

With you budget, don't get fancy. $2,000 isn’t enough to do a 4V or a 5.4L swap no matter what anyone tells you. Sure, you might be able to scrounge up the bulk of the parts for that price, but it’s the nickel and time stuff that’ll get ya. Look around for a used low mileage PI engine and save yourself the headache of scrounging up parts and the disassembly/reassembly of a PI swap. You engine is already damaged and you won’t know how badly until you tear it down. Once you do that, you’ll need to replace practically all of the top and bottom end bolts, as well as the head gaskets. That right there is going to eat up about $300 and you haven’t even done anything yet. Pillaging an engine out of a wrecked ’01-04 Mustang would be best, but if you can’t fine one at the right price, a late model Crown Victoria engine will do the trick with a few top end changes.

The easiest thing for me would be swapping a PI motor. My best friends brother is a mechanic and it will cost me more money in the end to have him teardown the motor to see whats good or not. The PI motor would work best for me, now I just need to find a motor in AL for a good price. I live 20mins north of Birimingham.

Thanks
Keith

Its too bad you dont live closer to Rhode Island. Im actually pulling my 01 gt motor with 49000 miles on it to sell. Im doing a total motor build so pretty much the whole motor is coming out and I have to sell it. Anyone know what a 2v pi motor with 49000 is going for nowadays?