bought a bird

robbo1987*2.3*

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
varina, va
1987 turbo coupe, 148,000 miles, white, blue interior, ihi, automatic for 200 bucks. The body is straight as an arrow, no rust anywhere. And the interior is damn nice considerin its age. It has been sittin for about 6 months and i put a battery in it and it started right up and purred like a kitten. Bought it from a guy in louisa named louis. I believe matt( 351) has met him b4 because he was sayin somthin about a green notch from luray that had a turbo motor in it and he said that he looked at it or sumthin i cant remember. Only thing i gotta do to it to make it road worthy is install a rear( whole rear), brake booster, and a radiator. I have a rear from my old stang thatll make it "trailer" worthy, there is a turbo bird in the junkyard with the booster/master cylinder setup(abs on the car booster and master cylinder are 1 peice?? :shrug: ), and i can get a radiator from the guy i got it from, oh yea it only has single exaughst on it :shrug: . By the way this guy has his own little junkyard with a few stangs out there if anyone needs anything lemme know and ill look when i go back to get the car.

how are the autos in these cars are they the same a4ld thats in the 2.3 n/a's?? and what do they run stock with the ihi, small vam, stock i/c, and an auto?? just wonderin

i was like a kid in a candy shop when i saw the car i like it alot its real clean and only 200 bucks for it hell yea i now have 2 2.3 turbo vehicles.

• Sponsors (?)

Sweet.

Couple things to note- First, the rear from your stang may not work, mainly because it might not be wide enough.

Oh, some of the auto cars had single exhaust. Also the auto in the turbo coupes was the same crappy auto that came in the Mustang, so it's prone to blowing up. I think horsepower was around 160? not sure. Oh yeah....the car has a big vam, not a small one.

yea

the car has single exaughst will the mustang rear fit under there enough to get the car on a trailer??? because the car is in louisa and i need it here. the car has an ihi and im pretty sure it was a small vam i just did a quick once over on the car just checkin the basic stuff the goes on these motors. it has a new manifold and valve cover gasket and from what i c it doesnt leak a drop any where i didnt drive it because it was on stands but i did put the tranny in each gera and the drive shaft would spin but even if the tranny is shot i have a 6 month rebuild tranny that came in my stang b4 i swapped it out for the 5 speed but anyways i need to know about the rear b4 i go out there and find out the hard way any one know ?????

I remember seeing a white/blue TC but its been a while. :)

I stuck a stang 7.5 under my stripped 87 just to move it and it worked fin with turbines. It wasn't real tight, but I probably wouldn't drive it.

As for the a4ld. No difference in rotating assembly of the trans. I do list different torque convertors and valve bodies(due to the hp and weight differences)

If you put the rebuilt trans in go ahead and search out a 5spd donor car. Plus you might consider a healthy set of gears for it too.

The 'Stang rear will fit. I put my old 7.5 under my '87 TC, so it'd roll. I did put the TC axles in though. If worse comes to worse, grab the TC axles out of the junkyard and slap 'em in. But even with the 'Stang axles, it'll probably work.

BTW, unless somebody swapped VAMs on you, you should have a large VAM in the '87.

ok

thanks for the replies you guys. Yea 351 it is white with blue interior a guy named louis sold it to me lives in bfe louisa with his own lil personal junkyard but i think its his dads house but anyways im goin to the jy to find the booster/mastercylinder setup( its all one peice wtf??!!) i think it has sumthin to do with the abs but i b back later on thanks for the help later

yea

i went lastnight and gotthe car the stang rear worked i drove it on the trailer the car looks damn funny though with 10 holes with 225 60's up front and the stang rear with stock polycasts out back lol. I got the booster/mastercylinder setup from the j/y( gutted turbocoupe chesterfeild auto) commin off was a p.i.t.a. mostly becuase of bein under the dash with a 100+ heat index in the middle of a gravel feild lol. Im lookin to put it on today on the car it looks like its gonna be a major p.i.t.a. atleast with the under the hood part. anyone have any pointers or helpful tips with this project or should i just dive head in. hey 351 i gotta go back to tke him his straps and to get some more stuff, i know he has a couple of wrecked 5.0's he has 1 or 2 verts that i saw and 1 t-top ill get a more complete list when i go back. for the most part the only thing i saw that would b usefule to us is suspension and body parts, oh yea he has a few 2.3 n/a motors just sittin around. oh yea the bidr is a sexy car i washe dit today and im thinkin about parkin the stang and drivin the t-bird as my daily driver and havin the stang for the strip/ weekends i dunno yet though thanks for yalls help lata

nice find. I too just got a turbocoupe. Mines a 86 with 146,000 miles, new clutch spearco front mount intercooler, t3, bosch bypass valve, some boost controller,all new brakes. everything works in the car minus the AC needs recharged. only thing that sux is it has drum brakes in the rear. so now i need to find out what i need to do to install my TC rear end from my 88 turbocoupe donor car i stripped