Bought a Carbon Fiber hood and trunk

I don't think that a CF hood + trunk would shave 60 lb's. You're going to spend $1000 to shave 60 lbs? And that's $1000.00 WITHOUT the cost of painting the pieces, if you decide to do so. 60lbs off of a 3300lb car = 1.8%, which is the equivalent of adding about 1.9% of power onto the car. So - that's adding 4.94 CRANK HORSEPOWER. Which is about 4 rear wheel horsepower. The only weight reduction mod that I buy into - for daily driving purposes - is reduction of rotational masses (flywheels, underdrives, aluminum driveshafts, lightweight wheels, etc. By the way - I think the CF hoods look sick! I would love one painted yellow with the CF showing for the GT stripes. But I also want long tubes and a new factory color paint job, so CF is not even really on my list.
Also - good luck with the diet! Throw in some bicycling and you'll have a serious driver weight reduction mod on your hands shortly!

• Sponsors (?)

Taking weight out of the cars isn't too difficult and every bit helps. Must be nice having mods just WAITING for a car :D

2 weeks ago at the track my car weighed in at 3174 without driver. Not too bad for an automatic car with some weight taken out :nice:

Lol, are you suggesting that it's not worth it to lighten a mustang?
I am not going to gut it, but the hood and trunk are easy to swap out, and I'm sure it will shave at least 50-60lbs.

When I had my 90 accord, it was completely gutted. The only things in it were a Mugen drivers seat, the oem dash, the oem steering wheel, and a short shifter.

No carpet, no passenger seating, not trim panels, no nothing! Which was quite annoying, because the lack of AC turned that car into a big black oven in the summer. And the passenger seat belt computer beeped every 2 seconds because it wasn't plugged into anything...

HAHAHAHA thats funny i did the same thing with my 89 accord. It was STILL slower than shat. It did run a 10.5 in the 8th(once). It was the carburated 2.0. Yea slower than anus. All it had was a full header back exhaust stage 2 clutch and a short throw. Ahhh memories. I'm so glad i upgraded though.

Rule of thumb is lose 100lbs and gain a .10 in the 1/4. I had a problem with my Nova running in the 10s and it wasn't legal for 10s so I added a 3" pipe full of lead that weighed 300lbs and it slowed the car .30, well for a while then it went 10s again and they threw me out.

I don't think that a CF hood + trunk would shave 60 lb's. You're going to spend $1000 to shave 60 lbs? And that's $1000.00 WITHOUT the cost of painting the pieces, if you decide to do so. 60lbs off of a 3300lb car = 1.8%, which is the equivalent of adding about 1.9% of power onto the car. So - that's adding 4.94 CRANK HORSEPOWER. Which is about 4 rear wheel horsepower. The only weight reduction mod that I buy into - for daily driving purposes - is reduction of rotational masses (flywheels, underdrives, aluminum driveshafts, lightweight wheels, etc. By the way - I think the CF hoods look sick! I would love one painted yellow with the CF showing for the GT stripes. But I also want long tubes and a new factory color paint job, so CF is not even really on my list.
Also - good luck with the diet! Throw in some bicycling and you'll have a serious driver weight reduction mod on your hands shortly!

I certainly see where your coming from, and you offer a valid point. And in any other case, I'd be with you. But I picked them both up for $750, and new I believe they are around $1,100-$1,200. So I figured that was a good deal on some parts I may want later on when they are not available so cheap.

ALSO:
Just ordered hoodpins from JEGS. :)

Get it painted, looks awesome!!!
ROUSHinHDR.jpg

This cari is owned by a guy named Josh from my car club.

I was thinking about the trunk, but I'm scared enough as is to drill my CF hood for pins... I wish they made a CF stock style wing, I'd get that n paint all but the recessed portion.