brake booster and master cylindar mismatch...

jonfor

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus, GA
my front calipers will not release pressure and are binding. my front brakes have been "upgraded" to power disks maybe 10 years ago with an unknown kit. problem is that the 2-bolt flange between the MC and the BB is different. the BB's flange studs are wider apart than the MC's holes by maybe a 1/4". the current MC's flange on one side has been horizontally cut-out only on one side to allow for the difference. the problem is that the misalignment from the center is causing a bind. any thought's on what year or model MC will work? short term i might have to cut out the other side too, but i would rather get a MC that fits. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the MPB repro 64-66 booster. The same one was used by Ford and GM, but they only make the GM version, which was identical except for the bolt pattern you describe. The usual fix if you have to use a Ford-type MC is to file 1/8" out of each side hole. Of course, since the 65-66 disc was never power, you could switch to a GM style MC. Sounds like a good time to change to a dual master, if yours is not.