brake booster

Jan 2, 2010
hey fella's, i'm new to the site, actually, i joined today.
i've already completed my front brake upgrade using the spindles, shocks, ball joints calipers, spindles etc from a 2000 mustang v6. i am currently using a 95 cobra m/cyl and 95 gt booster, still have the drums in the rear at the moment as cash is tight and this makes parts hard to find. obviously there are no sn 95 axles or discs brake calipers around at the mo, but i'm patient.
i have a 2000 v-6 brake booster laying around, i was wondering if this booster would fit. i saw the csk site that the booster is the same as the 94/5 v-8 mustang, as well as the 99-2004 v-6.
bearing in mind that the 93 cobra and the 94 & 95 mustang boosters are eventually gonna evaporate or rot-out, i reckon it it makes sense to start using the 2000 booster.
i drove a 2001 mustang on thursday, and was well-pleased with the braking action. i know the 2000 master cylinder is bigger that the 95, but i reckon that 2000 booster must be the same as the 95.
looks like a tight fit, but i cant see much physical difference in size.
has anyone used this 2000 booster in a fox body yet?

• Sponsors (?)

Negative. You don't want this booster. The reason is the brake pedal ratio changed in 1996 on the V6 Mustang and as a result the booster rod has a straight head vs the curved head of the Fox and 94-95 Mustang.

Installing this booster can lead to binding issues and a slightly stiffer pedal since the ratio is smaller.

The only booster you want to install is either a 1993 Cobra booster, or any booster from a 94-95 Mustang.

The 93 cobra booster contains the correct stud bolt pattern and thread pitch, so it's a little easier to install, but the 94-95 booster is cheaper to come by at a junk yard. Just make sure you test it first by putting vacuum to the booster and checking for leaks. Common issue esp if the MC on the previous car had a leak at the rear.

booster rod

i had a look at the 2000 booster rod that fits to the pedal, it looks like the 93, as it curves at the rear, is it the 95 booster that has a straight shaft? thanks, jb....

Nope, 96+ booster is straight. Maybe Ford changed back to the curved rod in 1999, but every 96+ booster i've seen has been straight.

Can you take a pic of the end that bolts up to the brake pedal?

Nope, 96+ booster is straight. Maybe Ford changed back to the curved rod in 1999, but every 96+ booster i've seen has been straight.

Can you take a pic of the end that bolts up to the brake pedal?

Mike, I thought I've said this before, but I have a practically new 2002 V6 booster and it has the same curved rod like the Fox ones. They must have changed it back at some point. I just haven't installed it yet, need to get busy and do it soon.

The studs on the 94-95 aren't positioned the same as the Fox booster, thus you would have to drill one new hole.. of course you know this already :p .How the hell did you even cram that thing in there? The strut tower clearance is already bad enough with the stock booster. I recall I had a hell of a time trying to remove that damn thing from the 95 parts car. I busted my knuckles just trying to get the last 2 studs out. The strut tower was well in the way. I ended up bending one of the studs on accident before it finally budged.

Here is a pic of my 2002 V6 booster I got a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell, the arm looks just like the one on my Fox booster.

carpic011.jpg

Looks like a booster from a 94-95. You sure that is identical to a Fox booster? The 95 booster I had was larger than the stock one on my 92... Maybe they did resize the thing because of the dumb strut tower clearance. Are the stud positions the same as Fox or does it still require a new hole?

booster rod.

this is exactly what my booster from the 2000 looks likes also.
i did take the photo, but i find another member has posted thier photo, thats cool, i dont have to figure out how to post pix yet!!!
getting back to the original idea, this booster should fit with a bit patience, and will it masively improve braking?

I haven't measured it or compared it to the studs on a Fox one, I was mainly concerned with the pedal arm matching the Fox one. It is quite possible it is the same as the 94-95 booster.

As far as posting pics, I use photobucket. Open an account, upload the pics, then you can hover your mouse over the pic and it will pop up some links to copy and you can then past the link in your post using a
tag after the link, again no spaces. I usually copy the second link in the list.

Edit: I just looked at photobucket again, the last option on the pop up already has the img tags on it, so you can just copy that code.

Looks like a booster from a 94-95. You sure that is identical to a Fox booster? The 95 booster I had was larger than the stock one on my 92... Maybe they did resize the thing because of the dumb strut tower clearance. Are the stud positions the same as Fox or does it still require a new hole?

I have a 1995 Booster in my car. That booster looks just like it.

Wasn't hard at all to do. I think i did the job start to finish in less than 2 hours. Most of my time spent was trying to figure out how the stupid brake light switch went back on it.

BUT...my booster is bad. Damn junkyard parts. So i'm buying a brand new 1993 Cobra booster over the winter and gonna install it. Should have went new from the beginning.

junk yard parts

dont feel bad, my whole car has been put together with used or made parts, that just makes the first trip or two down the road just that bit more interesting.
it gives you something to talk about when it rains.