brake caliper bolts

Mustang4119

May 26, 2004
I cant get the 2 15mm bolts off the caliper from the spingle on the front brakes. It is literally impossible, I have no leverage. I am trying with a 3/8" driver that is small/short and now Im going to try with a 1/2" driver with a 15mm. I am going to get a 15mm tommorow for 1/2" driver. I got a torque wrench 1/2" for the wheels, but hopefully that is big enough for alot of leverage. Those are on so dam tight, I wish I had a impact tool. I tried wd40. Should I try and buy a big 15mm wrench?

• Sponsors (?)

I usually have a 8 inch pipe that I put over the handle, this way, the lenght of the handle can change at anytime. For those tight places, you can put it in then extend it to have more leverage.

Put the closed end of a wrench on the 15mm bolt. Then give the end of the wrench short quick whacks. It mimics the blows of an impact gun.

It doesd work once you get the hang of it.

Put the closed end of a wrench on the 15mm bolt. Then give the end of the wrench short quick whacks. It mimics the blows of an impact gun.

It doesd work once you get the hang of it.

Closed end wrench? the circle part? My wrench is so short for a 15mm, i tried whacking it with the 3/8" rachet with the 1/2" whacking. It didnt move. I dont want to strip the bolt turning so hard.

You, you will have to hold the pin with one wrench and tighten the bolts up.

Make sure the pin can move in and out freely beforehand. It might be a good idea to pull the pins, clean off the old grease and reapply some new high temp grease. Make sure the boots are in good shape. If not replace them.

When these pins seize, the brakes only push from one side (the backside) and will wear down to the rotor quickly and become an expensive repair.