Brake Conversion Question

mikeflys1

Founding Member
Aug 27, 2002
CT
Well im doin the 5-lug swap on my car and cant decide whether to use the 94 GT rotors with PBR calipers on to just spend the extra dough and use the cobra ones. Both calipers are are about the same right? Will i notice that much of a difference in perfomance with the larger rotors?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the PBRs offer more braking from high speeds, the cobras do the same, but I think have more stopping power at slow speeds because they have more leverage with the 13" rotors

I am going with cobras, I got my calipers in today, got brand new ones from a company who sells them on ebay, caliper, bracket, and pads for $229 shipped. i got them today :D

I put PBRs on my g/f's car, and I didn't feel much if any difference, braking was much quicker from highway speeds, such as when slowing to make and exit.

BlackFox5.0 said:
I believe the PBRs offer more braking from high speeds, the cobras do the same, but I think have more stopping power at slow speeds because they have more leverage with the 13" rotors

Got any facts to back this up? You are off there.

Both the cobra and GT 99+ use PBR calipers. Lets clarify here a bit.

The Cobra parts work better all the time and have more surface area on the rotor. Why do they work better? Leverage and the larger rotor gives a larger area to dissapate heat -- ie thus less fade.

The GT PBR calipers is a great system. But high speed work will show the weakness of the small rotors VERY quickly.