Brake Drum Stuck......?

SPEEDYLIFSAVR

Founding Member
Sep 18, 2000
FL,89 LX 5.0
I noticed a strange sound coming from the rear when I apply the brakes . I jacked up the car to pull the drums off to investigate and I cant get the drivers side drum off!? That sucker is stuck on there . I tried beating it around with a rubber mallet but no luck . Any ideas on how to get that thing off of there?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I just had this problem on the passenger side...turned out to be the parking brake cable, it was stuck. I was able to hit the drum a few time with a hammer (hammer, not rubber mallet) to get the cable to let go, that let me get the drum off.

A new cable was $25 at NAPA. Wasn't too hard to replace.

Thanks guys...a HAMMER and some friendly persuasion did the trick...... :nice:

Now if I can just figure out what the hell is making that noise . Everything looks in check....nothing loose.....pads are a little worn but still have some life to them . Its like a clicking/rubbing sound and it comes and goes when applying the brakes as if something is warped . The sound gets slower as the car slows down...get what I mean!? Any ideas? The car stops fine , no pulling to one side or anything , Drums look good , just that noise is drivin' me nuts!!

:crazy:

:shrug:

I think your drums are "out of round" and need to either be machined or replaced fully.

You said your "shoes" looked ok. Maybe they are not as ok as you thought.

The drum is full of springs and stuff and they get exposed to a lot of heat, wear and tear, and the likes and may need to be replaced also.

Check the insides of both your rear rims. Is there a lot of black brake dust?
If so then your shoes are rubbing while you are driving also and the reason you don't hear that is because sound travels backwards and it only becomes noticable when you are slowing down.

Lastly, after a long drive put your hand on both drums. If they are scalding hot, then your brakes are rubbing.

I had this problem also last summer. Needed a brake overhaul on both rears. Installed new springs, replaced the emergency brake cable and machined the drums. Now, no more problems.