Brake fluid leaking from LR hose/caliper.

FordStang

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2002
Orange Park, FL
I noticed my brake light came on about two weeks ago so I check the fluid and sure enough it was low. Filled it up and checked underneith the car... the LR is leaking. Right where the hose connects to the caliper. The stang is my DD for work and is a 2000 with 108,000 miles. ( alot of road trips up north) and the car came from my family up north so it is a bit rusted ect. Guess my question is....prob be best to replace rusted caliper and hose? Should I wait also and replace both caliper on rear so both are new. replaced the front prob about a year ago. Thanks for your time and let me know your thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

If the hose fitting is rusted up, I would go aheead and replace it. The fitting will only get worse down the line and end up leaking. If your going to replace the caliper, do both rears, not just the one side. Always good to do them in sets so braking performance is equal on both sides. If you never done rear calipers before, expect a little difficulty the first time. The only part I had real problems with was getting the e-brake cable off the caliper. The caliper has a preloaded spring that must be removed before the cable can be. FYI, the spring acts as a torque multiplier to compress the piston easily, and also returns the caliper piston to normal state when the e-brake is released. Removing, actually you just need to compress it enough to slip the cable end off. You'll see ... and btw BE CAREFUL . I was using a large pair of vice grips to hold the spring while I grappled with the cable end. Long story short.. spring was not on vice grips too well and slipped off. Guess what? Spring comes whizzing by my face like a bullet and lands halfway across the yard. Just a little heads up for you ....other then that.. its cake.

IS the hose and caliper rusted enough to require replacement??

If it's leaking where it bolts to the caliper, then you may be able to replac ethe copper crush washers and bleed the caliper and be good to go. You can pick up new copper washers in the HELP section of an autoparts store. Two washers per caliper.

However, if the hose and caliper are physically deteriorating and not just surface rust, then you mught want to replace the hose. The caliper in the rear is steel...so it should be fine if it's still working