Brakes Brake Fluid Question

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by Bob Hughes, Dec 19, 2012.

1. I'm going to be installing an SLP line lock tonight, and while I'm at it going to have the change out a majority of the fluid in the brake system. Should I upgrade from dot3 to 4 or 5...are there any benefits to it? Have to pick up fluid this afternoon just curious what others have done.
  2. Do not use DOT 5, it is silicone based and does not play well with DOT 3, 4v or 5.1. Dot 4 and 5.1 will mix with DOT 3, but generally is thicker. You can pick up DOT 4LV from a Mercedes dealer that will have the higher boiling point characteristics of a DOT 4, but with the lower viscosity of a DOT 3 which plays better with ABS systems. That being said the Motorcraft DOT 3, p/n PM1C has a dry boiling point of 500F, and is very reasonably priced. I sell a bunch to road racers.
  3. Two bottles of motorcraft dot 3.
  4. I have that kit (you will love it) and I used what ever the recommended fluid is. Don't forget to bleed that master cyl.
  5. Thanks guys for the input. I'll pick up the ford dot 3 tomorrow
  6. Get a new shifter knob with the button on the side for the line loc. Makes things soooo much easier.
  7. That's on my list. I am planning on putting an "arming" switch somewhere out of the way to power switch on knob....that way it doesn't "accidentally" get used on the street.