brake fluid turns to mud why..?

hi..yes i harldy drive my one mustang...and it seems like i have to replace the wheels cylinders very often..the brake fluid seems to turn to junk..
i can replave all wheel cylinders the master cylinnder .which is for a manual brake system...and the next thing i knew i have weak leaky brakes if i dont drive it enough...ok i am repeating myself..is there anyway i can keep this fluid from turning to mush.?

• Sponsors (?)

what kind of lines are you using? are you using rubber or braided stainless? also, what brake fluid are you using?
i mostly deal with newer mustangs, but they have the same problem of the fluid getting gunky after a year or so. i usually use the valvoline synthetic brake fluid and that tends to stay clear. its compatable with DOT3/4 fluids but has a boiling point higher than most DOT 5 fluids.

do you have disks up front or is it all drums?

I'd be checking the flexible components of the system, they can allow moisture into the system if they deteriorate. Moisture = corrosion, Braided lines pretty much eliminate this.

I think I've seen reccomendations to flush the system yearly, although I do my road car every time I change all brake pads - ends up being about every 3 years or so.

if you have a good sealed system, no leaks you should only have to flush the fluid when you change out the pads. cars that see a lot of track use should get the fluid flushed out more often. i know of people that will flush the fluid out of the calipers after every set of hotlaps.

bdcardinal said:
ya i would definately get rid of the rubber hoses. thats the weak poitn on most systems. if you get braided stainless lines, it will firm up the feel a lot.
Braided may be better, but your problem still isnt normal considering most all cars including new cars still use rubber lines without this mud problem. how are your metal lines exterior? are they all rusty? it may just be time to replace all the lines, fairly cheap actually! the rubber lines can just be replaced or u can go with the braided ones if you have the $$$