brake light issues

TURBO80LXCOUPE

May 31, 2007
so i dont know if this is the right place for this question but here it goes,
ok so basicly my brake lights will not shut off.my car is a 97 gt,i replaced the brake light switch with a motorcraft one thinking that would solve the problem,but i didnot.
checked all the fuses and any wiring that could of rubbed threw in the trunk or
by the pedal,all seems fine.i am at a dead end,has any one had this issue?or am i
the lucky basterd that seems to have oe wiring go bad?turn signals work fine so do the running lights wtf!do any of the relays in this control the brake lights?
any suggestions would be great,im tired of unplugin my brake lights when im done
driving,:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

This may seem like a stupid question but, did you check your brake fluid level? I had the brake light come on my wife's car and fluid level was low. Also, how are the brakes? I know you said the pedal felt ok. Pearl02.

Start by disconnecting your brake switch an see if the light goes out. Some vehicles have two brake switches, I dunno about stangs, if there's two disconnect both. If they're still on, disconnect the turn signal switch, should be a connector at the base of the column. If they go out, you've got a short in the column or turn signal switch. If they're still on, then start at the trunk lid and check the wiring. Trunk lamp wiring could be shorting to the high mount brake light. Maybe at the hinge, where the harness flexes. Work your way foreward. If youve got a water leak, at the sill plates or kick panels the wiring inside the harness could be corroded bad enough to cause a short. Good luck.
Make sure all the bulbs in the back are right. I've seen some stupid problems when people install the wrong bulbs.

there are two switches on is possibly for abs disconected both didnt fix,i will try the steering coulumn today,brake light bulbs are right and no water leaks,rear pads are new and fronts have 80%,fluid is full rotors are in spec,brakes feel fine.:bang:

so i disconected the wiring at the turn signal switch and brake lights do go out but, i belive the something else is the problem because with the turn signal switch and the stop light switch disconected i am still gettin power on both brake light switch wires,which to me means its getting back fed some where, up front.third brake light does stay on but cant find any bad wires:shrug:i hate car wiring:nonono:

What about a stuck relay in the main power block under the hood? Try removing the one for the brake lamps/fog lamps, or switch it with an identical relay to see if the problem shifts with the relay swap.

Left brake light wont work?

i just replaced my stop light switch hoping it would fix my problem but it didnt. my running lights, turn signal and right brake light all work but my left one wont why is that? i put it new bulbs and everything.